Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

8 Aug 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    I come off of oncall duty this morning. I'm excited about not being oncall, but with us losing people due to layoffs, oncall comes around much more often than it did before, so maybe I need to stop talking about it here and just moving on.

Been piddling around in the shop a bit but not much...too hot and humid for me to last for very long. Almost had a heat stroke several years ago and ever since then, I've just not been able to handle the heat very well. That's the primary reason why I look forward to cooler temps in the fall to kick off my woodworking again.

The new granddaughter got an "all clear" from the doc last week and we are all excited because now they can get out and visit as well as have visitors. I can't wait to spoil her rotten.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Did build (machined the wood) a set of cabinets on Saturday, but what I'm really proud of is the baking.

Finally got the baguette recipe nailed! The story goes that disappointed by what was sold in our local grocery, I decided I needed to bake my own. Fortunately at the same time along came Sam Fromartz's excellent book and recipe on the baguette. It took a few attempts, but success at last. I'd built the wood-fired oven about ten years ago and it has been one of the most enjoyable and useful things I ever built. I don't have AC so it moves the cooking out of the kitchen which is very much appreciated by all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I installed the interior door that I built and then started on the upper hutch part of my buffet/hutch project. (the buffet is already completed) And, of course, mowed the lawn, ran some errands, paid some bills, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bill, very cool about the break baking. Have never been able to find a baguette as good as I had years ago in my grandmother's small town in France.

I got to spend most of Saturday in the shop and got a lot of my router table assembled.

2016-08-06 19.14.48.jpg

After a few weeks being sick with a Franken-cold, I got in the shop this weekend and made and a pullout shelf to be used for spices. It went in the top of a 9" cookie sheet cabinet since there is a lot of vertical dead space. It's 4.5" x 22" and made out of hickory with ball bearing slides.

shelf.jpg

Robby Tacheny

Put in quite a few hours this weekend working with my dad on my new office shed. We put down some 1/4" hardware cloth (to try and keep critters out of the insulation) then flipped the floor over (a 12'x16' floor with 2x6 PT joists is heavy!!!), put in some R-19 and then OSB subflooring. Next up: walls.

IMG_3610.jpgIMG_3616.jpgIMG_3618.jpg
    ~Garth

Garth, that's awesome. Can't wait to see the progress on this. I really would like to do something similar.