Thread: Is this Grizzly G1023C a good buy?

Is this Grizzly G1023C a good buy?

Hi all,

Per advice of you all, I've been hunting around and found this used saw.

Its a Grizzly G1023Z for $850. It comes with some extra blades, crosscut sled, outfeed table. I guess this is a 5HP saw which is more than I need. Looking at outlet stores for new it seems like I could pay the same for a new 2HP saw that would do the job as well. In the pictures it looks clean and cared for in a neat shop setting. Also, this is probably a 3Phase motor right? Can I even run that on residential 240v?

00C0C_9tOO8oVHsuP_1200x900.jpg
    Last edited by Alex Gauthier; 08-08-2016 at 3:25 PM.

It is a bit overpriced in my opinion, but not that much. Look at the condition. It's an industrial saw, but was it used commercially? If it was, I just figure on replacing parts and lowering the offer. Commercial machines used by one or two workers is one thing, but if it was in a factory and used by the minions, it was abused. Grizzly typically adds a "3" after the model number to denote a 3-phase motor. The Grizzly G1023Z was not a 3-phase, but the G1023ZX3 would be a 3-phase motor (at least by today's numbering system). Today the 1023 only has a 3 horse motor. You will need a 30 amp circuit to power the saw. It's your money, so you decide if it's worth it. Here is the current manual:

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g1023z_m.pdf

By the way, a 2HP saw for that money won't touch the ability of that saw. You're comparing apples to oranges there.

From the instruction manual for the 1023Z series:

The Model G1023Z Series is an industrial gradetable saw intended for professional use. Featuresinclude cast iron trunnions, triple V-belt drive,magnetic switch, and the Shop Fox® Fence. TheG1023Z features a 3 HP 220V single-phasemotor and the Model G1023ZX features a 5 HP220V single-phase motor. The Model G1023ZX3makes the step up to a 5 HP 220V 3-phasemotor.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I assumed as much however, I noted it simply because I probably don't need the extra power but if it's available for the money....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    By the way, a 2HP saw for that money won't touch the ability of that saw. You're comparing apples to oranges there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Gauthier View Post
    I probably don't need the extra power but if it's available for the money....
    Famous last words. Loads of folks say that and then need to upgrade later. That's the voice of experience. Ask any of us who progressed upward through series of saws the years. It's better to buy the say you may need later, not the one that will cover your current need. That said, see if the owner made an error. As two of us pointed out that model in the manual now says the saw is 3HP, not five. It's an older saw and the specs could have changed, but the owner might have posted the wrong model number as well.

It's a good saw - I used to own one some years ago - had it for probably 10 years, but it's not a particularly good price. I sold mine in excellent condition for quite a bit less than that.

I would also say that it is not a great price. I would not buy a table saw without a riving knife since I have owned one. At that price I would wait until you get a 10% Grizzly coupon and buy teh new 1023. I think I read somewhere that they plan to do it in Nov?

I bought a Grizzly 1023S from a private owner a year ago. Couldn't pass up the price for the condition of the saw. It wasn't until June this year that I had 220V in the shop to use it. It is great to use. 220V single phase, 3HP, triple belt power transfer. If it's in good shape, negotiate with him on price. I'm sure you'll like it lots !

Well, I owned the 1023sLx 3hp for 10+ years, and sold it for 800 about 3 years ago. I notice that saw is a right tilt. I hope you don't mind the blade tilts (mostly) into the fence. Its a personal pref thing but I like my blade to tilt away from the fence.

I'd not go lower than a 3hp saw. If you do have a 5hp negotiate it down just a tad and take it. I'd still have mine except I upgraded to 5hp and an industrial sawstop. Do the nickle test and if it passes thats a good saw.

If it's 3phase throw a converter on it and go on.

I'd offer 700 and settle in on 800 and go. Good luck.

"good price" depends on the supply of used cabinet saws in your area.

But I'd buy this over a new 1.5 or 2 hp hybrid. This is a higher quality saw and I also think you might experience a lower cost of ownership since you'll be able to sell it for something closer to your buy price. Just look on Craigslist and see how many 1.5 and 2 hp saws are for sale and the asking prices. If you plan on keeping the equipment forever this doesn't matter if course, but get the better saw in that case

That's likely a much better saw than anything you'll find new for $800. It's probably single phase, but a look at the motor plate should confirm. You can always offer $750-$800, and see where it leads.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks much, everyone.

He doesn't seem to answer email at this point so maybe it sold already. Oh well, I'm not in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Curry View Post
    "good price" depends on the supply of used cabinet saws in your area.

But I'd buy this over a new 1.5 or 2 hp hybrid. This is a higher quality saw and I also think you might experience a lower cost of ownership since you'll be able to sell it for something closer to your buy price. Just look on Craigslist and see how many 1.5 and 2 hp saws are for sale and the asking prices. If you plan on keeping the equipment forever this doesn't matter if course, but get the better saw in that case

UPDATE: He answered. Sounds like it was just his personal machine. Not used roughly and he states the table and fence are both still very true. Single Phase 220. Going to have a look at it asap. Thanks for the guidance on fair pricing, all!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Gauthier View Post
    Thanks much, everyone.

He doesn't seem to answer email at this point so maybe it sold already. Oh well, I'm not in a hurry.