Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LV PM VII blades

1. Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    smooth flat river Rock
    Lol. Tell me more....

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    Lol. Tell me more....
    Hi Bridger, it's simply my way of not getting in on any lectures. My sharpening techniques may seem unconventional to many, however it works for me. The subject was about pmv 11 which I use and can sharpen easily. No need to explain how I go about it. Makes me laugh also.
    Jim

3. Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Hi Bridger, it's simply my way of not getting in on any lectures. My sharpening techniques may seem unconventional to many, however it works for me. The subject was about pmv 11 which I use and can sharpen easily. No need to explain how I go about it. Makes me laugh also.
    Jim

Thing is, I have a couple of stones in my... erm.... working set.... that were picked up on hikes and such. Some have been marginal, but a couple have proven to be good stones. One is a very close approximation of a surgical black.

Thing is, I have a couple of stones in my... erm.... working set.... that were picked up on hikes and such. Some have been marginal, but a couple have proven to be good stones. One is a very close approximation of a surgical black.
    Bridger you should be very careful. The edge police may come after you if they find you are using rocks picked up on the trail for anything other than decorations. It may be considered some kind of crime to touch them to an edge.
    Jim

5. Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Bridger you should be very careful. The edge police may come after you if they find you are using rocks picked up on the trail for anything other than decorations. It may be considered some kind of crime to touch them to an edge.
    Jim
    Well, I did spend a fair bit of time lapping them flat, so perhaps I'll get a reduced sentence....

Well, I did spend a fair bit of time lapping them flat, so perhaps I'll get a reduced sentence....
    Hmph. I see the sharpening wars are still in full swing.

For OP. . .toss a new blade in a plane. Does it work satisfactorily to you? If not, take it out and play with your stones.

As for sharpening, I use Sigmas, PM-V11 seems to cut well with them. I actually like to use a PM-V11 for rough work just because it holds up very well. I still prefer a high carbon Stanley blade for whispy shavings, though.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.