Thread: jointer options

jointer options

All,

I have been shopping for a jointer for quite some time. I recently built a larger garage so I have more room for toys. Are there any opinions on which way to go? A few more details

option 1- 6 inch grizzly G0654- wants $650 with new helix head and 3 standard blades. Looks like a good clean machine.
    option 2- 8 inch grizzly from late 90s- wants 500 for it. has new set of blades.
    option 3- Enco 8 inch 3 blade long bed Jointer wants 750. about all I know on this one
    option 4- 8 inch grizzly G0490- in the mid 700s for this one. been idle for a few years havent seen any actual pictures of it.

thoughts?

Definitely 8" if you plan to stick with the hobby.

If try to talk option 4 down to about $650. That's what I plan to sell mine for and I think it's a fair deal for both buyer and seller.

My theory is keep straight knives on the jointer and spend money on a spiral head for the planer when funds allow.

I would continue to save up and get a combo jointer / planar with the spiral head at 12". You have a large shop, but you don't need to trip over machines constantly. You might also want room for a sliding table saw at a later date. All of this assumes you have 220v.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post
    I would continue to save up and get a combo jointer / planar with the spiral head at 12". You have a large shop, but you don't need to trip over machines constantly. You might also want room for a sliding table saw at a later date. All of this assumes you have 220v.
    You're kind of talking apples and oranges I think Brodie. He's asking about sub-$1000 used 6/8" jointers, not $3k+ new combo machines and sliding tables saw's. As you surely know, most everyone starts with separate machines and a small percent eventually chooses combo machine.

He might never get really started with the hobby if he has to save all that money!
    Last edited by Matt Day; 08-10-2016 at 7:08 AM.

The G0490 is the way to go. Easily adjusted, parts are available. I have the 12" version, the G0609, and it operates almost perfectly. Only thing that has happened is the set screw on the cutterhead pulley has worked loose, and I noticed and tightened it. Had it about 9 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post
    Ha ha Id advise thats what the OP does too, but it doesnt sound like the amount he is looking to spend is anywhere near the ballpark for a combo machine.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    There are so many G0490 owners around to provide experiences. Mine has the spiral head and has done nothing but work since it arrived near-perfect right off the pallet. Primary drivers to the G0490 platform for me were the parallelogram beds, long tables and tall fence.

I had also decided to move to a spiral since I work with a lot of figured material that even the sharpest set of knives would begin to munch on after 30 or 40 lineal feet of use. Your deciding factors will be your own but, I have read (before and after purchase) great reviews of the G0490 machine and years later, I still smile every time I fire it up.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Matt, true, but I never know how fast someone is looking to acquire tools vs getting the right ones. You can get a Grizzly combo for $2100 (straight knives). Barring that option, I would look at picking up some old iron jointer used. At least 8 inch in width.

If you pickup a $700 jointer + a planer @ $350, you are already over a grand. Should you wait a little longer and save up? Individual choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    You're kind of talking apples and oranges I think Brodie. He's asking about sub-$1000 used 6/8" jointers, not $3k+ new combo machines and sliding tables saw's. As you surely know, most everyone starts with separate machines and a small percent eventually chooses combo machine.

He might never get really started with the hobby if he has to save all that money!
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Thank you all for your suggestions. I was too slow aka had to work and could not drive the 5 hours to get it before it sold. I will keep my eye open. As much as I would love the combo machine I need to ease up to that money.

Thanks again all