Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Expressions You Hate

Expressions You Hate

I hate hearing......"well it's not ideal (perfect, the best way, etc.) because I know immediately that someone wants to perform inferior work. It's like they lump everything not 100% in a category and consider anything less than perfect as equal despite the face there are 99% solutions and 1% solutions. They aren't equal. Most who say it are trying to sell you something closer to the 1% solution. What expressions do you hate?

"In other words"...saying to me, well you stupid, ignorant, so and so, I have to put it in simple, everday terms so you can understand. Ugh!
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

" Let me honest with you." Does that mean they are lying the rest of the time? "Just alike except." Are they alike or not. In original post, use "this is the best option we have" instead.

"# <insert comment>"

I get it, but hate it.

@%#$&* instead of @#%$&*........I just hate it when people say the former but really mean the latter.

RPM's is another one that pushes my hot button....

And the infamous - "fair share"....

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

"I'm OOO tomorrow's so I'll need that POV on the client's ROI by EOD"

Actually, my pet peeve is not so much the sayings but the context in which they are used. I work with someone who emails my customers and periodically uses "text language" in official communications. For example: "plz respond ASAP". Drives me insane.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-11-2016 at 11:43 PM.

"It is what it is"

Well sure, of course it is. At least it isn't what it isn't.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    "It is what it is"
    Ha, I use that all the time.

Back when I first came on board with Minimax USA, our CEO/sales manager, Jim, always amazed me with his ability to talk and be received positively by customers without actually saying anything. He would get on these rolls and basically speak a language of what we called isms, without actually talking about the machines or whatever and folks ate it up. For example, "Keep on, keeping on", "Doing it's thing", or some other git-er-done type sayings. None of the rest of us could get away with that but it worked for him. He would close huge deals without actually saying one specific thing about the machines. It was amazing.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

"Not for nothing".

I can't for the life of me (ooh there's another one) figure out what the above means.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Actually, my pet peeve is not so much the sayings but the context in which they are used. I work with someone who emails my customers and periodically uses "text language" in official communications. For example: "plz respond ASAP". Drives me insane.
    I completely agree. My wife is a physician and one of her coworkers uses text language a lot in emails and on top of that is always in a rush, therefore, his emails make no sense. He's supposed to be a well educated professional and Doctor, right?

"fair and balanced"... this is by far thee most ridiculous oxymoronic TV network slogan in history, regardless of your political affiliation... (btw, I'm a conserberal)

"no worries" ... EVERYONE started that a few years ago... and usually there are...

"Its not fair!!" -- we have 16 grandkids, most of which are teenagers..

And "#" = hashtag? .... it's a POUND SIGN!!!! And that's what I call it...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

"It is what it is"

Actually, It isn't what it isn't if it is what it is.

Blog Entries
    "It is what it is"

Yep, that's mine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I learned something new, what a hashtag means. I never knew it was a pound symbol. I will still call it under the former name.