Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Expressions You Hate

"And then I was, like walking down the road"..........A speech pattern my youngest daughter used for some time.

It always resulted in me saying " I don't want to hear what it was like, tell me what it really is" . That of course, resulted in me receiving the "oh Dad" look.

I also find it odd when people say "Uh huh" instead of " You're Welcome".

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    "It is what it is"

Well sure, of course it is. At least it isn't what it isn't.
    I actually like this one when used properly, basically to say, "This situation isn't changing any time soon. Roll with it."
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    My daughter hates it when I ask her, "What's up?" Her wise apple answers are usually: "My age" or "The sky".
    When anyone asks me, "What's up?" I start looking at the ceiling or the sky like I am trying to figure that out.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pogue View Post
    "You welcome" instead of "you are welcome" or "you're welcome".
    That seems to have started a few years ago among the 16-22 years old crowd. Every meal at a fast food place was a challenge not to say, "thank you" lest I got that reply.
    I tire of the response "No problem" to my "Thank you."

It's age old : You can't fight the new manner of speaking. Snarky comments only make you a fuddy duddy (to interject an old "new way of speaking").

My mother used to say,"What in the world are you doing?", rather loudly when we were doing something she ask us to do in the first place. We probably weren't doing it just the way she thought it should be.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    My DIL, a teacher, cannot utter a sentence without the word "like". I hate it.
    feel the same way with the word "actually". Drives me nuts.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

the very condescending .."I think what you are trying to say..." to cover the fact that the listener is incompetent..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

It's not a phrase, but since I learned what vocal fry is, it seems like everyone has it, and it drives me bats!

"It costs 400% less" or whatever.
    100% less is zero, so what is 400% less?

Transparent, as in he's being transparent.

If he was transparent you would not be able to see him. Surely there are more appropriate words - open, forthright etc.

I detest any conversation that starts with the word "So ...". It has become commonplace, even with TV reporters who should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post

"With all due respect..." This just means you are about to say something disrespectful. It might be deserved, but it will be disrespectful.
    Actually I love this one. It is completely accurate and more often that not the recipient the recipient doesn't figure out s/he's been dissed, making it all the funnier. "All due respect" is exactly that; if there's not much respect due, there's not much given. Most effectively employed by the Brits, who intend it as an insult. Americans seem to think it softens what follows, which completely misses the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    It's not a phrase, but since I learned what vocal fry is, it seems like everyone has it, and it drives me bats!
    You must listen to NPR as much as I do. And TAL podcast...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    " I'm just saying"
    I have come to dislike this saying more than any other, almost. It is used to allow people to say something snarky or nasty, but not take responsibility for it.

"I mean....." and they are starting a new conversation or point. They have not said anything yet, so are pre-qualifying it. Say what you mean and if you say it poorly, I will ask what you mean. I hear it all the time on NPR and when I am talking to people.