Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Expressions You Hate

My favorite from commercials is "For just Pennies a day..." Uh, is that 10 pennies a day or 10,000 pennies a day?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berrevoets View Post
    My favorite from commercials is "For just Pennies a day..." Uh, is that 10 pennies a day or 10,000 pennies a day?

How about "Big sale, up to 50% off!" "Up to" also includes 0%, 1%, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I learned something new, what a hashtag means. I never knew it was a pound symbol. I will still call it under the former name.
    The "former name IS "pound symbol".

Hash tag is it's new name
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Dudes and dudettes, This is one of the totally most entertaining threads in a while. Twelve of us could probably all sit at a table, give our "most hated" expression and, at the end of the day, I'd be willing to bet that at least half the other people use it all the time, and vice versa. . . . just sayin'. (edited to convey, like, ya know, like the more "hip" side of our bro #Erik)

Erik
    Dude, that's an awesome observation! Actually, totally gnarly too.
    And, irregardless of what Malcolm may try to do to my groin, have a blessed day.

Another one that gets me is "how may I take your order?"
    Seems to combine "how may I help you" and "may I take your order"
    I am tempted to answer "with speed and accuracy, please!"

Cashier, "Do you want your milk in the bag?"

Me, "Nah, just keep it in the bottle."

"That's a mute point!"

*moot point

Hilarious thread, thanks guys it made for a great Friday read.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Marsh View Post
    "That's a mute point!"
    If only it were so, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I hate hearing......"well it's not ideal (perfect, the best way, etc.)
    I tend to use that with the implication that "it" works and works well enough for the purpose but if you want the better solution its going to cost a lot more. The alternative phrasings I've found are not generally a lot more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Caspar Hauser View Post
    'I could care less' - you could?
    The implication is that I could possibly care less but it would be somewhat of a stretch to achieve such a level of disinterest. This is commonly the case and generally occurs when someone else cares more about something than is strictly warranted. For example in many instances when people become overly hung up about regional phraseology I couldn't care less (this response notwithstanding), which is good because if I did it would unduly upset me

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    "no worries" ... EVERYONE started that a few years ago... and usually there are...
    This originated as Hawaiian slang (pidgin) and more or less literally translated as "it was not a serious problem, if it was we'd be having beef outside right now". Or less colloquially someone did something they felt obligated to apologise for and the "no worries" response meant that "you are forgiven, it wasn't that big of a deal". I can't account for how the kids nowadays are using it and would certainly declaim any responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    the very condescending .."I think what you are trying to say..." to cover the fact that the listener is incompetent..
    I think you are discounting the case when the speaker is incompetent. This is a useful technique to ensure that the listener has the same understanding that the speaker does. Not to disparage any parties present (heh lets see who THAT gets) but this is an unfortunately common occurrence usually evidenced by the crowd of listeners stepping aside to ask each other "did you understand what he was saying? no? me neither" and then one person being nominated to step forward to obtain clarification.

I learned something new, what a hashtag means. I never knew it was a pound symbol. I will still call it under the former name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    It's an octothorp, referring to the hash-tag, or pound sign thingie. Octothorp.
    Yes, thank you! Octothorp, its correctly called an octothorp

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    I hate it when somebody is selling something for "just a fraction" of the normal price. 99/100's is just a fraction. And doesn't make it any more appealing.
    4/1 is a valid fraction as well

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    "It is what it is"
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do..

butitdo.jpg

Yes oscar, it certainly do be like it is.

#####... I'm going to start pretending I'm a phone message when I answer the phone:

"If you know your party's extension, please enter that now, otherwise, press octothorp for more options"

That should be good for a laugh...

Got a kick out of responses to 'with all due respect'... reminded me of what you say to someone with an ugly baby:
    "Why, he's just as cute as he can be!"...

And I have another one I haven't seen here, probably because it's almost dead (thankfully):

"What up?"
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Gentle Reminder Here:

Please do NOT include any political or religious comments in this thread. I know we are all well meaning here but please...it will help keep the workload down.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    The "former name IS "pound symbol".

Hash tag is it's new name
    Jim, I was saying the same thing, but in an awkward way. I never knew what hashtag meant.

"Your package has shipped", yet when you watch the tracking number you see it hasn't shipped and won't for a day or 2. All it means is your order is in the system and a tracking number has been assigned.

Also "at this point in time". NOW, thank you very much.

"At the end of the day" when it doesn't really mean quitting time.

Come together and moving forward are two of my peeves.

Mike