Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plane ownership ratio

Plane ownership ratio

The recent thread on choosing planes, with its re-direction into jack planes, inspired me to ask this question ...

How many jointer/jack/smoother planes do you own?

Most handwork is done with the jack (unless you are using machines), and then the jointer, and only a little with the smoother. Yet I imagine that most of use own more smoothers than they own the other two combined ... well I think I do.

I have 3 jointers (1 mostly in use), 5 jacks (including 3 BU jacks, which I do not really consider jack planes, so 2 in use for coarse work - one metal and one wood), and then I have about 6 or 7 smoothers (OK, only 2 get used at any one time, but the others do get used in time).

What is your ratio?

Regards from Perth

Derek

4x no4, 2x no5, no7, 3 wooden jacks, 2 wooden smoothers and a wooden joiner

Matt

1/1/4

-Trevor.

I'm sure I've broken some rules

I have a #7 that's my "real" jointer.
    My #6 get used as both a heavy jack and a small jointer.
    I have a #5 setup as a scrub plane
    I have another #5 setup as a jack/smoother hybrid
    I have a #4 thas is my primary smoother
    I have a junker #4 that gets used for rough work occasionally.
    I have a crappy block plane that gets a fair bit if use. I really need to buy a better one.

While another decent smoother would be nice, I don't feel the need for any other bench planes.

Background matters. I'm a hybrid wood worker. I use a table saw and a power planer on nearly every project. After using the #7 for 6 months, I sold my power planer.
    Last edited by Daniel Rode; 08-11-2016 at 8:50 AM.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    2 Jacks, 2 jointers (well, one try one jointer), 3 smoothers.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

In metal planes I have a 4 1/2 , a 5, and a 7. In wooden planes I have a wooden smoother and a try plane. I don't really need the wooden ones, but I like them, and the more I use them the more I like them.

I have a 3, and a couple of 5s in the reserve fleet. I think I pretty much have what I need, so the extra 5s will be moving along one of these days.

I have a couple of more wooden planes "under construction" (well, really they are just hanging out on the back of the bench waiting for me to have some more spare time and a couple of floats).

2-4s, 1 BU smoother, 2- jacks, 1 BU Jack, a 6 used as a jointer, a BU jointer. I had more of each but gave away the ones not used.
    Jim

I probably have 80 or 90 planes. Most of them are in boxes so I'm not sure how many of each size. But I do know I have Six #8s and five #4 1/2s because I just had those out. Some of them are just old collectible planes I've never used. I just counted I currently have 33 planes out for use. 4 1/2 is my most used plane and my favorite smoother size. I don't have any infills.

#s 3, 4, 5 1/2 , 7, 60 1/2, Wooden Jack, 71 router, extra irons for the 4, 7, and 5 1/2. Nice collection of hollows and rounds, beaders, and a nice woodie dado. WHEWW!
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

(1)#7, (2)#6s, (1)#5 1/2, (5)#5s, (5)#4s, (3)#3s mmm, maybe I should stop going to the fleamarket and stop bringing unloved planes home.

I got one of each, all Veritas BU ... but the blades is another story. Swapping blades depending on the task/wood. Cheaper and takes less space.

Blog Entries
    My bench planes:

#3 Vintage Stanley
    #3 LN
    #4 Vintage Stanley
    #4 LN
    #4 1/2 LN
    #5 Vintage Stanley
    #5 LN
    #5 1/2 Vintage Stanley
    #5 1/2 LN
    #7 Vintage Stanley
    #7 LN

The LN planes were mostly birthday or Christmas presents the last few years. They do make really great presents.

PHM

Isn't it interesting how many of us have invested in smoothers? How many does one need ... but we still find room for more. Jointers and jacks are much more relevant planes in terms of importance, but they don't get the love. Smoothers are the glamour planes, and fine shavings are still the desire of many.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Do I count the #8 that is a pile of parts? How about the transitional jointer that is never used?

My two #6s get used like jointers all the time. When something long needs work my #7 or #8 might get the call. My #5-1/2 doesn't get a lot of use. Then there are four #5s, an LN #62 and a #5-1/4 that all get some use in the rotation. Another #5-1/4 is set up as a scrub plane. It really isn't much good for anything else unless being a paper weight has merit.

When we come to smothers there is only one each of #1 (LN), #2 & a #4-1/2. Three each of #3s & #4s. One of the #3s is occasionally used like a scrub though the blade isn't cambered much.

Most of the 'extra' accumulation is incase I want to raise some cash I have a few items that can be sold.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

4 & 4 1/2.

6 & 7.

Impression the 6 get passed over somewhat, but for me, it is THE most used plane I have. Anyone else?