Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Olympics

As an American, I'm ashamed of the four swimmers who lied about being held up in Rio. The people of Rio are understandably sensitive about the crime in Rio and, I'm sure, don't appreciate someone lying about being robbed - especially when the lie was reported all over the world.

The swimmers may not face much as far as legal sanctions but their sponsors will likely drop them. You wonder what they were thinking.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I'm 61 and I remember some of the earlier televised Olympics. The first one I remember was Mexico City which was the first games broadcast in color. The whole family trouped over to my Uncle Harry's house where he had a brand new color TV. We weren't allowed to touch the set because it had been installed and adjusted by a professional. The vertical hold was off and we watched 6 hours of the Olympics with the image rolling slowly. When he died, we got the set and I got a look at the back. Same knobs we had on our B&W set with the addition of RGB, color and hue. I could have adjusted it and I was only 8 years old.

There was a sense of wonder in the coverage of those earlier games. It was like the announcers were experiencing the games right along with us. Now, everything is better organized and that sense of wonder is gone. The announcers kind of sit around and congratulate each other on how good their analysis is. It's just not that much fun anymore.

I watch curling in the winter games. That and the Biathalon and that's about it. There's not much in the summer games that can make me even look up from the paper.

The men's basketball is a cruel joke. Those nba players have all the self congratulatory hubris that they do during the all star game.

I also have a problem with treating the swimmer medal counts on par with the other sports where they only get one chance to compete. Ledecky deserves her glory tho!!! She is amazing.

I would like to have seen more back stories of the athletes. I'm a sucker for that stuff.

Am here in Germany for a week and all I can see is Lochtes drama. I am more ashamed of the media preoccupancy with that than I am with twenty somethings making dumb drunk mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    The men's basketball is a cruel joke. Those nba players have all the self congratulatory hubris that they do during the all star game...
    My wife and I feel the same way. It seems so out of balance balance to see kids who probaby have to get up at 4:00AM every morning to train and who probably live on PBJ sandwiches and top ramen, fighting to win a medal for the US and then a bunch of pro NBA guys with giant diamond earrings and tons of gold jewelry. I have no problem with pro NBA players and no problems with buying whatever jewelry you want but I wonder how much more opportunity one of those NBA guys could give the other 99% of struggling US olympic athletes if they sold a few of those giant diamonds and donated the proceeds to the US olympic programs?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

That country has enough problems without being defamed by a vandal whose word is for sale. The consequences will be a market adjustment of that commodity.

All and all, the Olympics are very expensive, but not as expensive as other shows of strength like war. The Olympics would be a nice alternative to war as far as settling problems. War is sometimes necessary, but everybody loses in war, it's just the one that loses the least that "wins".
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

When I see the Olympics, all I can think about is the 42 condoms per athlete that are being given away by the National Olympic Committee. It makes me question what they are there for.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    When I see the Olympics, all I can think about is the 42 condoms per athlete that are being given away by the National Olympic Committee. It makes me question what they are there for.
    Making balloon animals?