Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flat Wood Working vs. Turning

experts and art

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Rod, I don't know if I told you when we met, but dad is a professional artist. He says, "the real test of an artist lies in his ability to hide his errors." He's an engraver and sculptor.

Reminds me of my favorite saying about experts: An expert is one who makes all his mistakes in private. I don't qualify since I make all mine right out in the open. Then I post them on Facebook. Come visit and I'll show you my Box O' Shame for failed woodturnings.

About artists, the best definition of "artist" is someone who makes art. It says nothing about the execution, design, or craftsmanship of the artwork. Or what anyone else in the world thinks about or values it!

I actually made a living creating what could be called specialized art for my last 15 years before retirement. I'm still not sure how I managed that but the pay was good.

JKJ

John,

Dad has been an artist since he left the United States Marine Corps 65 years ago and acts extremely happy that he's been able to earn a living in art. I cannot draw a straight line. I suppose before dad gets too old that I ought to set up the Walker Turner lathe I restored some years ago and have him teach me how to use it.

We visit your area at least once a year, always near Thanksgiving time. Usually stay out in a town called Newport, Tennessee in a place that overlooks the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Dad has been an artist since he left the United States Marine Corps 65 years ago and acts extremely happy that he's been able to earn a living in art. I cannot draw a straight line. I suppose before dad gets too old that I ought to set up the Walker Turner lathe I restored some years ago and have him teach me how to use it.
    We visit your area at least once a year, always near Thanksgiving time. Usually stay out in a town called Newport, Tennessee in a place that overlooks the mountains.
    Nice! Very few are those who make art pay the bills. :-)

Newport is not far. I'm about 30 minutes north of Knoxville, just outside of Clinton. If you come down I-75 you pass within four miles of my farm, further if your route is I-81. If you can make it work, stop for a visit! I've been retired for 10 years and my schedule is flexible. You can take a llama for a walk, fead the peacocks, get stung by a honeybee. I have enough lathes set up to teach small woodturning classes.

JKJ

I like both. I've done more turning and am moving into more flat work.

I equate turning to sculpture or pottery in the reverse. You take this ' ' amount away and create a shape. There is more 'by feel' and less major planning. Without insulting anyone, it has greater leans towards 'art'. Where turners fall down is we get stuck in the projects (bowls, mugs, vases, urns, pens, wands, walking sticks, et nauseum). Then we focus on finish, paint, texture, piercing, air brush work, etc until you can't tell it was made from wood.

Turning can also provide a quick return on your 1-2 hour investment in the shop. Flat work? see you in 10 hours and then we can see it is starting to 'come together'.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey