Thread: Help: need an otter image (or something like it)

Question Help: need an otter image (or something like it)

hi:

I usually hang out in the general woodwork forum but now need some help on a specific CNC related issue.

The story: About two years ago my wife bought an expensive 'architectural" tub on 70% off sale for about four times its value.. and now I'm almost finished building a bathroom around the thing. There's a sliding pocket door, and above it a space measuring about 38" wide by 12" from the edge of the ceiling molding to just below the bottom of the rail the door hangs from.

What I wanted for this space was a 3d router cut image of a sea otter floating on its back reading a book. I have a friend who owns a CNC router that can make the cuts and he thought he could get the G-code to cut the otter into a piece of Santos Mahogany and then inlay that into a piece of white cedar (aka alaska cedar) - but, as it turns out, he can't.

Any suggestions or help will be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy de haas View Post
    hi:

I usually hang out in the general woodwork forum but now need some help on a specific CNC related issue.

The story: About two years ago my wife bought an expensive 'architectural" tub on 70% off sale for about four times its value.. and now I'm almost finished building a bathroom around the thing. There's a sliding pocket door, and above it a space measuring about 38" wide by 12" from the edge of the ceiling molding to just below the bottom of the rail the door hangs from.

What I wanted for this space was a 3d router cut image of a sea otter floating on its back reading a book. I have a friend who owns a CNC router that can make the cuts and he thought he could get the G-code to cut the otter into a piece of Santos Mahogany and then inlay that into a piece of white cedar (aka alaska cedar) - but, as it turns out, he can't.

Any suggestions or help will be much appreciated.
    I usually go on GURU when I need something like this. Lot's of talented folks there and you can probably get one done for 20-30 bucks.

Good Luck!
    Dennis

Old woodworker, engraver, sometime fisherman (to justify all the tackle I own)
    Saw Stop Professional table saw, Delta drill press, Rikon band saw, Jet lathe, Rigid jointer and planner, and most air, hand tools made!
    Epilog 45 Helix, Trotec Speedy 360, Bengal plotter, Sublimation printer.

Finding someone to cut it will not be difficult. The first step is to create a model that one can output a .stl file or another version someone can read in their software package that creates the G-code. I am making a family crest for a friend and the biggest part of the job is the modelling. The modeling time can be shortened greatly if you accept some of the common art one can find easily. If you want more help you will need to add a picture of what you are trying to describe. A big part of the process is getting those ideas turned into x,y,z coordinates.