Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stair railing problem

Stair railing problem

Well I have tried four ways to figure this stair rail out and come up with way to make it work and I can't do it. No matter what I do the gap going down at an angle is thinner then the gap on the flat. Any suggestions on how to maintain a consistent gap all the way down the stair case?

IMG_0483.jpg
    Last edited by keith micinski; 08-13-2016 at 8:13 PM. Reason: added picture

Your horizontal pieces need to be the same width as the cut end of the angled pieces.

John

stairs.jpg This will give you equal spaces between railings. Though, not to code.

I agree with John - Its the only practical solution. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Measure down the angle the width of the boards that are flat. 5-1/2"? Then rip the excess off on a table saw.

Untitled.jpg

The angle on the the piece in the pic is 33.5*
    Last edited by Justin Ludwig; 08-14-2016 at 8:53 AM.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    Well I have tried four ways to figure this stair rail out and come up with way to make it work and I can't do it. No matter what I do the gap going down at an angle is thinner then the gap on the flat. Any suggestions on how to maintain a consistent gap all the way down the stair case?

IMG_0483.jpg
    You can never have the gaps the same on the horizontal and sloped sections unless the board widths are made to different widths _ wider for the horizontal as compared to the sloped. Of course then it will still look a bit irregular to you. As it is I think it is normal

The VERTICAL gap can be made to be consistent with the vertical gap on the flat. But the basic geometry dictates that the gap measured on the right angle to the boards MUST be smaller on the sloped section. You can't change it, so just be sure that the vertical gap is consistent and live with the results. It will end up looking right.

After speaking with the customer it looks like we are just going to run it with the gap varying between the verticals and the horizontal. It doesn't really look that bad I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an easy solution that I was missing.

Is that legal in your jurisdiction? Here horizontal boards (that can be climbed by a child) are not legal.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As long as any gap is less then 4" it's legal to the best of my knowledge. The home owner could care less about legality though since they originaly wanted to just run a couple of ropes for a railing.

Homeowners seem to care a lot more about what's legal if someone gets hurt. Be sure what you did is to code.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Homeowners seem to care a lot more about what's legal if someone gets hurt. Be sure what you did is to code.

John
    This is very true. Also, should they decide to sell the house and it's not to code who's name do you think they will drag through the mud?

I agree with John. But some code things, I think, are clear compromises between good and cheap. Like having stair rails too high to lean on just to get by without a guard rail when often both are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    As long as any gap is less then 4" it's legal to the best of my knowledge. The home owner could care less about legality though since they originaly wanted to just run a couple of ropes for a railing.
    that gap you are referring to are between vertical spindles. Here in Canada that railing is not allowed anywhere.

I'm not even sure that guard rail rules apply here since at no point is the stair case more then 30" off the ground. I think the hand rail requirement applies in this situation.