Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: jumping in the vortex

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Looks like the grinder motor and bandsaw will work well, but I would suggest you continue to search for a lathe. I think you will find the tube lathe to be frustrating and inadequate for anything but smaller spindle work. And, even then, less than satisfactory.
    +1 I bought one of theses new on clearance for $49 many years ago and I think it's the reason I didn't get into turning until a couple years ago.

Mike

The grinder will be fine. I'd suggest using a pair of 8" steel CBN wheels with that. At 12 amps I question the "2HP" but it doesn't really matter as it's got plenty of oomph. Tube lathes like that are not known be of sufficient quality. However, I have seen some pretty good work done on them. If that's all you have and you have already paid then get started, but consider it just to get turning while you look for something heavier with a cast iron bed. Get your wolverine jig and grinder set up and learn to sharpen. Go to at least one local turning club's meetings. Have fun!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post

+1 I bought one of theses new on clearance for $49 many years ago and I think it's the reason I didn't get into turning until a couple years ago.

Mike
    OK so I knew I bought a crappy lathe, but it was the right price at the time. But now I see this posted on CL,

ForumRunner_20160913_214416.png

is it worth $30? I would just take the motor off the one I have now, or is it just as crappy?

I intend on moving up to a nice lathe once I get the basics down, I don't want to spend the $30 if there will be no significant increase in learning value.

Thanks

I wouldn't bother with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Raser View Post
    ...once I get the basics down...
    Chance, I am afraid you won't "get the basics down" with faulty equipment. Discouragement and disappointment will take their toll on your creativity and desire to improve. It is too late now, but the bandsaw money could have been better spent toward the lathe. You can turn nearly anything from square to round with the right techniques, though eventually a bandsaw becomes an important part of turning.

My advice is to recoup, slow down, and focus on getting a decent lathe to start. Even the Harbor Freight Model 34706 is better than the one you have and the one in your recent post. At about $270, or so, it would serve you for awhile if you can't afford to do better in the short term.

Your new lathe is somewhat limiting. But, you can learn some things from it. I wouldn't try any big bowls, but it'll probably work somewhat for spindle work. Eventually, you'll want to upgrade. The HF lathe mentioned by John K. would be an alternative.