Thread: Out of Production Parts

Question Out of Production Parts

I have a chance to buy a Delta DC 380 15" planer. It needs a gear in the gear box that Delta quit making(THANKS DELTA!), Any ideas, suggestions?? Thanks.. My reply e mail has changed to jrbass62@gmail. system wouldn't let me change it..

These things are so generic that almost all of the gearbox parts will work on each other Grizzly may be able to help here.

It depends on the gear you need.
    A lot of wood working machines, by different manufacturers, are virtually identical to each other. Some times made in the same factories and just painted different colors. They use common parts to keep the production costs down. Bearings and gears are not usually made "in house". Too costly.
    Identify the gear you need and see if it's on another machine, by a different manufacturer, or try to source it from a gear supply house. They're usually not very exotic.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

As a last resort, if you have the original gear, a good machine shop can make one.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    As a last resort, if you have the original gear, a good machine shop can make one.
    That was my thought.

Have you bought it yet? My advice is not to buy anything Delta. Unless it is something unique or so spectaularly built, i have better things then to chase down parts. If you already purchased it, Grizzly or Jet may be your best bet to find parts

Lots of the parts on that machine are the same as shop fox or Grizz.. the problem is there is no guarantee..

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rowland View Post
    ... Delta quit making(THANKS DELTA!), ...
    To repeat the story that you might not have heard.. Delta has essentially gone bankrupt at least twice in the past decade, and the remains have been sold off. The company presently operating under that name has no connection to the Delta of twenty years ago. It doesn't offer parts for those old machines. And it is so sketchy that it can't even offer repair parts for machines it is currently selling.

On a whim, I just searched for "Delta DC380" planer and found four different models?? Model numbers 22-675, 22-676, 22-680, 22-681. Do you know which model it is?

I then went to my #1 replacement parts source, e3Replacement Parts and looked up the model 22-681, found the parts diagram --page C -- for the gear box and it looks like they have some gears available. See: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/del...3571_3596.html Did not look up the other 3 model numbers for gear box parts.

If no luck there, maybe post on Old Woodworking Machines --http://www.owwm.org or on Vintage machinery --http://www.vintagemachinery.org/
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 08-15-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Did you look at tool parts direct?

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/delta...15-planer.html

Try renovoparts.com but call first to make sure the item is in stock before ordering.

I happen to have the same model. You can still get some parts, but not many. Like the rest said, find another brand that works, it doesn't necessarily need to be exact. Also keep in mind that no one and I mean no one will work on a Delta piece of equipment anymore. I couldn't even find a person who would work on the motor, just because it was on a delta machine.

Bob

Take $200 as the price to have made and take it into account when buying. A gear should be able to be sourced or made. Motors are standard frame. When you buy used machinery it is seldom you find original parts from the manufacturer and generally they are way overpriced when you do. Dave

Dave has it right, you should be able to find the gear from another source. Boston Gear is one that I see mentioned. If you needed a casting or gear box or something made to fit a specific machine, that can be a problem. OTOH, why buy something that you know ahead of time is going to be a maintenance challenge? I think if I were in the market today, I'd buy the most generic Chi-wanese machine I could find. Or Euro, I assume the high end manufacturers support their machines for a reasonable amount of time though I have no experience to support that assumption.