Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about prescription cards

Question about prescription cards

Hello,

My wife and I are both on Medicare, (only Medicare, not Medicaid) but we don't have a prescription card. We see ads indicating that pharmacies such as CVS and Walgreens offer prescription cards free, and they claim big discounts on FDA approved drugs. But this seems too good to be true, so I'm skeptical.

Do any of you have such cards, and if so, are they beneficial? Do you really get discounts, or is this mostly hype?

Thanks,

Louis

we check Good RX to see what our scripts would cost that way. Sometimes they are way cheaper

We signed up for the Walgreen card but in all honesty it rarely, if ever, offers lower prices. In contrast, we received a card from both the VFW and AARP that sometimes lowers costs. Those didn't cost us anything, so if you are eligible call one of those organizations and ask for one.

Don't you have to join AARP to get the card...I get info all the time from them & I've never seen the free med card..

You'd have to check this but I believe Medicare Part D prohibits discounts. You'll notice that when you see an advertisement for some drug, they'll often say that they offer a card which will give you a rebate on your part of the drug costs. But that only works for insurance and not for Medicare.

The reason the drug companies offer those rebates is that there's a big markup on the drug so they make a lot of money from the insurance payment for it. The insurance companies attempt to discourage you from using the drug by having a big co-pay. So if the drug company eliminates the co-pay, you'll use their drug instead of a cheaper alternative, maybe generic. You generally don't care how much your insurance company pays. It affects you, but only indirectly.

The Medicare people were wise that that racket and made it illegal for drug companies to give Medicare recipients a rebate for the co-pay.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I suppose you do have to join or send me a pm for one of our extras.
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 08-17-2016 at 7:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    We signed up for the Walgreen card but in all honesty it rarely, if ever, offers lower prices. In contrast, we received a card from both the VFW and AARP that sometimes lowers costs. Those didn't cost us anything, so if you are eligible call one of those organizations and ask for one.
    My wife and I have the Walgreens card and we save substantially on our prescriptions. I just refilled one of my prescriptions, I paid $15 for 90 days supply and the regular price is over $200. Not sure why Rich sees no savings on his scrips.

The Walgreens card costs us somewhere around $40 for the two of us.

I suggest calling Walgreens and asking what your specific prescription would cost you using their prescription plan and what it costs to join the plan for a fair accurate comparison for your specific situation.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 08-16-2016 at 4:23 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Thanks George (and all who responded). We'll check into that.

George,

Our cards were free. Perhaps we are discussing two different types of cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    George,

Our cards were free. Perhaps we are discussing two different types of cards.

I am not aware of plan at Walgreens that has free cards but I suppose it is possible. I was wrong on the cost of our Walgreens plan it is only $35 for the two of us.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I am not aware of plan at Walgreens that has free cards but I suppose it is possible. I was wrong on the cost of our Walgreens plan it is only $35 for the two of us.
    Have you checked what that drug would have cost you on Good RX. My sil had a drug that would have cost her $600 and her card would let her get it for $125 but through Good RX she paid $40

My wife just shook her head at me. Apparently I have been using a Walgreen's loyalty card and thought it was the prescription card. Their loyalty cards are free though.

Because I am on Medicare, I cannot get any discounts on drugs. My doctor has given us cards and my wife has no problems, but because of medicare I get no discounts at all. She is still working and has company insurance.

Be careful of RX cards they may not be accepted in all states.
    We got one that was accepted in Kansas only. We live in South Carolina(long way to travel for savings).
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Considering the OP is on Medicare and looking for discount cards, why would you not be able to use discount cards if you are on Medicare? Now I am confused, as if I wasn't before this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Have you checked what that drug would have cost you on Good RX. My sil had a drug that would have cost her $600 and her card would let her get it for $125 but through Good RX she paid $40

Two things. One, GoodRX does not list the dosage I take, I am taking a very small dosage (I take .125mg and their smallest listed is .375mg) and what they list the lowest price is $103.83 with their coupon compared to my $15. I doubt any place will beat the $15 price.

Thanks for the tip though Jerry.

CORRECTION: Found my dosage and the cheapest price is mail order at $16.20 so for saving $1.20 I will buy locally.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 08-17-2016 at 8:36 AM.
    George