Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6" or 8" jointer

6" or 8" jointer

Looking at Powermatic jointers. Prefer the helical head, but am undecided on 6 or 8 inch model. Any thoughts from the assembled group?

I had a 6" one & it worked OK for what I needed it for at the time. Sold that and got a 8" one kinda cheap. Glad I got it. I can flatten wider boards which makes matters easier if you have a board wider than 6". I wish I had a 12" one but I have to use what I have.

If you can afford it, get the 8". I have heard of lots of people with 6" jointers that wish they had an 8", but not many (any) 8" jointer owners that wish they had gotten a 6". Also, generally speaking the 8 inch jointers will have a longer bed which is a plus also.

There are shops that use their jointer for nothing other than face frame stock, in which case a 6" will do just fine. Otherwise, get the 8"

Thanks for input

Good advice

Do you have a planer already?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    I am one of those that has a 6" and wishes he had an 8".

I made nice furniture for a decade with just a 6" jointer. But I wished every time I was in the shop it was bigger. I finally got a 12" in October. If you can foot the bill I can imagine a downside to the 8" unless you're working in a closet.

Blog Entries
    For me, face jointing, a 6" was often too narrow; an 8" only occasionally is.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had a 6" jointer first. It was really a get by until. I now have a 13" older MinMax and really like that. In addition to size, most larger jointers have bigger motors. My 6" was a 1hp and the MinMax is 3hp. Much better.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

My advice is do whatever you need to do to get a 12" jointer.

I have an 8 and wish I had a 16.

I dont have either yet but will get an 8" in the coming months for all the reasons listed above.
    Eight inch seems to be the sweet spot in regard to price and convenience.
    Even if most of your projects don't use boards wider than 5.5" I'm willing to be the lumber purchased from the mill is greater than 6".

Many woodworkers start with a 6" jointer and eventually upgrade to something larger because 6" to 8" boards are very common. Do a quick search on Craigslist and you will discover that there are usually many 6" jointers and rarely anything larger. I have a 10" x 72" jointer and rarely need anything bigger... and when I do, I would need a 16" jointer to meet my needs so I usually face-joint what I can and then turn to a hand plane to complete the job. Works great.

I have an 8" and have never wanted anything wider because most wider boards cup so much that you end up splitting them into two boards.

Get the biggest jointer you can afford. back when I was in the market, I could get either an 8" with shelix head or 12" with 4HSS knives. Decided to take that same advice from an old timer and got the 12" love it and made the right choice. I'ts nice to have the extra width, and if its a narrow board I can run at an angle if squirly grain to help out. I would do the same thing again! Save and get a 12"

Never ever heard said, "gee I got too much jointer"