Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what tools give you the best return on investment?

Blog Entries

what tools give you the best return on investment?

I became interested in hand tool woodworking in my early 20s when I read James Krenov's books. I was fascinated by the pictures and descriptions of what he was able to accomplish with hand tools. At the time I was starving college student with no tools and no budget. I spent hours pouring over catalogs and books making Wish Lists of tools, "I needed to have" that I dreamed of acquiring. Now 30 years later, I've realized somebody tools I thought I absolutely had to have, I never really use that much and others became fundamental tools I use all the time that really add to my enjoyment of the hobby.

I'm interested with my fellow neanders think are tools that have given them their best "return on investment" -in other words what are some of the tools that have become your MVPs? These could be tools thatare much better than the tool they replaced or a new tool that simply adds a lot of value to your woodworking experience, maybe a tool you wish you would have tried much earlier in your woodworking experience? For me cost is not the most important variable, but certainly a consideration.my thought isthese observations might be of value to those who are in the process of building their toolkit.

For me, here are some that come immediately to mind:

1) A vintage number #5 Jack plane because it's a plane I use most often, it works really well and it's affordable.

2) I got my first quality rasp about five years ago and find them invaluable for shaping curves. I wish I would have learned sooner how quickly these tools remove stock and yet still leave a smooth surface.

3) Cranked neck paring chisels are great for smoothing surfaces that a plane won't reach (half blind dovetails on a lip drawer front for example), trimming joints and establishing the shoulder on a marking knife
    to get a straight so cut.

4) Cabinet scrapers, particularly those with curved edges are great for final cleanup of moldings and final finishing of frame & panel construction, particularly when you want to clean up the surface of the vertical member working with the grain, right up to, but not over the adjoining, cross grain horizontal member of the frame.

5) Joinery saws. I did include these in the picture but cutting joinery with hand tools is one of my favorite things. Having the right back saw for the job with the appropriate pitch, tooth configuration (crosscut versus rip) and a nice straight platereally makes my woodworking a lot more fun and productive.

6) Parrafin wax; I have a half-dozen blocks of this scattered all over the shop and I'm always surprised how much easier it makes planes and handsaw's slide through the wood.

7) Lasty a good sharpening system you can use to get consistently sharp edge. Sharp tools always make woodworking more fun!

For the other side of the coin, a couple tools I can live without our are a router table (I seem to get much more consistent results moving the router of the workpiece, rather than the other way around) and a chisel plane. My chisel plane doesn't have any adjustment mechanism so maybe that's my problem. I can never seem to find the sweet spot setting the blade between digging into the work surface and not taking a shaving at all.

I look forward to hearing what you guys think.

All the best, Mike

Last edited by Craig Regan; 08-15-2016 at 2:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    A difficult question indeed. It is like asking which is my favorite grandchild.

The OP has possibly the best answer, "the sharpening set up." Behind every sharp blade there is the way it was honed.

Otherwise this is a rotation around my most used planes, chisels and auger bits. Most likely the auger bits were the most economical for the amount of work they perform. Though a few of my chisels and planes came at bargain basement prices and do a lot of work.

If it weren't for a #6, my #5s would get a lot more work.

Then my mind turns to things like molding. A lot of enjoyment is found in making moldings for projects. Complex molding planes, hollows & rounds, Stanley #45, rabbet planes and others all add to the look of the finished project.

Don't forget all the others like spokeshaves and splitting tools when it comes to getting wood off the log for a project.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A late 1990's Stanley block plane upgraded with a LV iron. I've several other blocks including LN, Veritas and vintage but this plane seems to be my go-to for small jobs for some reason. Maybe it's the size?

That's a tough one, but I guess I'd have to say a few quality basics; marking gauge(s), marking knife(s), square and straight edge rule. Not to mention the donation to SMC each year; pays off a hundred-fold.

Least amount in returns includes a few garage sale tools I really hoped to bring back to life but they have only contributed to my bucket of parts, and a certain new plane from a well known manufacture that I've finally been able to coerce into a shooting plane...

A lightbulb and a fan to move air.

Without them I suffer and the work looks like crap.

No 7 plane. This is one of the last planes added to my collection and it has become a favorite.

A tough one. I am going to go with my saws and sawbench. My ripsaw gets used on almost every project, and I think it cost me about ten bucks. The sawbench about the same. More for the vice and files to maintain the saws, but still well worth it.

what tools give you the best return on investment?

The tool that cost the least and is used the most: a pencil ?

Without a doubt my Yankee push drill. It was given to me over 30 years 'lightly' broken. After a minor repair it's been a go to tool for decades.

My wife needed to drill small holes in plywood for her job and was looking for something to make them. It's the last time I volunteer my Yankee drill- it took over 6 months to get it back!

-Tom

Blog Entries
    I forgot one of the forgotten tools, clamps. Along with the bench they are used all the time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

No question for me. My LV la Jack. Small jointer, large smoother, jack, shooter. Probably gets more time than any other tool I own.
    Jim

MF #9 Smoother
    LN 102 block
    Home made chamfer plane
    DMT Duosharp diamond stone
    LV Utilitas rulers
    LV 4" double square
    Swiss marking knife from Woodcraft
    LV marking gauge
    Assorted power tools

Starrett dividers (compass)

Restricting myself to only 3:

3/8" chisel
    #4 plane
    Starrett 4-pc combo square set (I know, not really one tool)

In reality I use a fairly wide variety of tools (esp chisels - I always pick the widest one that fits the work), but those 3 get used at least once in almost every session.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-15-2016 at 9:55 PM.