Thread: pin-end scroll saw blades

pin-end scroll saw blades

Every description of pin-end scroll saw blades I find says they are 5" long. Is that overall length? Is that cutting / toothed length? Or is it the distance between pins? I'd like very much to know the pin to pin length.

I guess I could drive to the hardware store and find out, but we have sewer construction on all the roads between here and the hardware stores. Getting anywhere is a royal PITA. ...and I know that plenty of you have a ready answer. ...and yes, I have some on mail order, but would like to find the answer without waiting for snail mail.

Why? I'm building a variation of Roy Underhill's jig/scroll saw as an accessory for my treadle powered lathe. Version 1 is working OK with coping saw blades, but I want version 2.0 to also be able to use scroll saw blades. Getting the dimensions right for the pivots of the parallel arms is my current quest.

Many THANKS in advance!

Answering myself ... after the construction roadwork cleared and I got to the hardware store.

Pin-to-pin length is 5", overall length is 5 1/4", cutting length about 4 1/2".

I play/work with a scroll saw every day and I suggest you drop the idea of pin end blades. Their quality is low as is their usefulness. Plan end bags are the way to go.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214