Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powermatic PM 66 Question

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Boyd View Post
    The cast iron top is off the table so I can see the entire operation of these parts. The entire shaft with spinner handle moves on a lateral plane when used. Sawblade up causes that shaft with spinner handle to travel out, sawblade down makes the shaft spin back into the saw and then the sawblade moves down.
    Here some photos of what I'm trying to describe.20160822_184024-1_1471906596346_resized.jpg20160822_184007-1_1471906595694_resized.jpg

With blade UP....loosen collar and slide forward. Tighten collar. See what happens. It should work properly, unless something else is wrong. Also, make sure hand crank is seated properly onto shaft after the collar adjustment.

I'll try this tomorrow. Thank you.

That was the solution. Thank you. There is a finger tight bolt on the arbor arm that limits how high the blade can extend up? Is there a given for where that should be set? Also, I've attached a photo of the piece of metal that was found laying on top of the saw dust in the cabinet.20160823_173233.jpg
    Last edited by Walter Boyd; 08-23-2016 at 7:31 PM. Reason: Typos

If it was on top of your sawdust pile, I'd guess it's the key to one of your pulleys - motor or arbor.

Have you noticed a power loss?

Walter,

Congratulations on getting yours fixed.

Matt,

That pulley idea is good idea.

That was the solution. Thank you. There is a finger tight bolt on the arbor arm that limits how high the blade can extend up? Is there a given for where that should be set? Also, I've attached a photo of the piece of metal that was found laying on top of the saw dust in the cabinet.20160823_173233.jpg
    Great! Two things to consider with height limit. Adjusted so that 1) none of arbor components (nuts, washers, pulley, etc....) hit the underside of table/throat plate and 2) the end of arbor shaft does not hit the underside of table when tilted 45 degrees.

Matt has the best answer for the key. Just wondering if you found this key after you popped off the table??? If someone had be working on the saw in the past and lost the key, got another one and didn't know the original was tucked/trapped between table and cabinet. Pretty thin, but maybe!

from looking at the diagram you posted ..it would have to be the motor/pulley key...all the others are "woodruff" keys...half moon shaped. not a square bar stock key.

Thanks for the information! That's exactly the data I needed. The book is handy but does not replace the experience of someone that's lived it. The cast iron top goes to the machine shop tomorrow. A regrind and polish. Nothing extensive. It seemed worth the effort since I had the top off for arbor and bearing replacement.

To answer a few of the other questions:
    1) the bottom cabinet has been cleaned multiple times since purchase. I'm confident that key is a new issue. I drove and the saw rode across the state of Florida to get back to Saint Augustine after purchase. 2) No loss of power that's I've noticed, only the wump, wump of the bad bearing as the blade slows down. l'll double check the pin on the motor pulley tonight .

I noticed a little burning on some oak I was cutting last week is the only reason I found the key before the shop vacation system emptied that cabinet. The burning made me think fire so I had shut that system down to look on the front access door just to be safe.

Both hand wheels move very smooth now. I don't see a need to tear it down any further?

No loss in power. All cuts everything I throw at it like it's cutting through butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I'd guess it's the key to one of your pulleys - motor or arbor.

Have you noticed a power loss?
    Thanks Matt, one heck of a guess! The motor pulley had spun on the shaft, both set screws were less than tight. Real easy to set right, used locktite on the set screws. This saw did one cabinet job then spent the next 18 years in a air conditioned garage.