Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-saw woes....

Re-saw woes....

I recently bought a Rikon 10-326. I am having problems resawing .062 strips for shaker boxes.
    First time worked good. Second time, not so much.

Highland Woodworks 1/2" resaw blade. Table, fence and blade are square and parallel to each other. Fence adjusted for drift. Blade tracks good on the wheels, guides look to be spaced correctly.

The blade wants to suck in towards the fence, to the point of running out of the wood.

I "think" the blade is tight enough.

Thoughts?

TIA

Gary

Blog Entries

Definitely watch the Snodgrass video that Mike linked to. Solved all of my resaw woes.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If it's the blade they call the "woodslicer" it is almost certainly dull. Way overhyped blade with a useable lifespan that can be measured in minutes. Seriously, I've used them up in 20 minutes doing exactly what you are doing before I got wiser and got myself educated on bandsaw blades.

Suffice it to say that not everyone who has used Woodslicer blades has had the same experience as you. I like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    If it's the blade they call the "woodslicer" it is almost certainly dull. Way overhyped blade with a useable lifespan that can be measured in minutes. Seriously, I've used them up in 20 minutes doing exactly what you are doing before I got wiser and got myself educated on bandsaw blades.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    If it's the blade they call the "woodslicer" it is almost certainly dull...
    I've never used a Woodslicer but lots of my customers have and it's not one I hear much negative feedback on. One comment, though: On blades like the the WS (or the Lenox Die-master II), which have tiny teeth and not much gullet or kerf, they are very sensitive to feed rate. Pushing too hard or trying to feed too fast WILL dull a blade like that in a hurry. One of the things I notice a lot from new bandsaw users is the thinking that there is such thing as a do-all blade, that will give you awesome finish quality, fast feed rate, the same finish on any species of wood, stay sharp forever, etc., when in reality, you really need an assortment of blades. Just my 2-cents.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Suffice it to say that not everyone who has used Woodslicer blades has had the same experience as you. I like mine.

Since it has been used for less than 35 lineal feet of 3 inch cherry I would rather cheesed off if it has lost sharpness.

I have to agree with John, if your using it in hardwoods the Woodslicer blades dull amazingly quickly. And if nothing else on your saw/setup has changed except that it's not cutting right, well that's the 1st and most obvious thing to look at. I've used more than a couple over the years as they do cut beautifully when new....they just don't last long. I've now gone to Lenox bi-metal which don't cut anywhere near as cleanly, but last a whole lot longer.

good luck,
    JeffD

I have used woodslicer blades re-sawing cedar, oak, walnut and soft maple and found them to dull remarkably quickly. I re-saw quite a bit, and now use "Supercut" blades. I use their 1/2" carbide "gold" blade for re-sawing and they last about ten times as long as the woodslicer blades do and are a bit cheaper. ($25 for a 105" blade). "Drift" is caused by a dull blade. I use a non adjustable re-saw fence on my 14" saw and when I get drift, I replace the blade to fix that.
    Last edited by Jim Finn; 08-22-2016 at 9:38 PM.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Blog Entries
    I don't have the problem of the Woodslicers dulling unusually fast. I use a feed rate of around an inch per second if the going is really easy and slower as required. Are you re-jointing the cut surface before going in for the second cut? If not, that is your problem.

Trying to cut 1/16" slice when using an already sawn surface as your reference is a no-go for me. I also slice from the outside edge but, since you say you are adjusting for drift, I wouldn't go there. I think if you joint the face and edge, slice off a cut between fence and blade, re-joint the face, slice off a cut, etc. you may find greater success.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Interesting discussion with experiences on both ends of the spectrum. I ordered a Woodslicer blade just hours before this thread appeared. This will be the first one I've tried, so I'm looking forward to seeing what results I get. The blade I've used for resawing previously was a Timberwolf 3/4" 3TPI blade that is long overdue for retirement. I'm pretty sure my technique is as much to blame as anything else for what seemed to be a pretty short useful life. Several bits of good advice here.
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    You should sharpen your bandsaw blade with a dremel. You just touch the tooth with the tool.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-23-2016 at 9:06 AM.

There are specialty blades for scroll cuts, general purpose cutting and re-saw work. There is an article in one of the recent past issues of Fine Woodworking magazine talking about blades. If you do a lot of re-saw work, it may be worth the cost of investing in one of the blades with carbide teeth on them. No more than 3 teeth in the wood at a time is the general rule of thumb. Stay safe and watch those thumbs.

That rule of thumb sounds nice but not practical in the real world. Think about resawing a 6" or 12" board. You would need a 0.5 tpi or a 0.25 tpi blade to only have 3 teeth in the wood. Try finding one in the 1/2" to 3/4" wide range that is the max width for most 14" bandsaws. It's another of those guides put out by bandsaw experts and authors who don't think about what they are saying.

I have had two 3/4" Woodslice blades that I use for resawing. One dulled fairly quickly but the other is still sharp and cuts well, even after cutting more linear feet than the first blade which I discarded. Just last night I was looking at some 1/16" shop-sawn veneer that I cut a couple of years ago with the woodslicer...both hardwood and softwood. It is very smooth on the cut side and the thickness is really consistent.

For me, the Woodslicer is a good blade but if I did a lot of resawing I would invest in a carbide-tipped blade.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln