Thread: Educate me please

Blog Entries

Educate me please

What are these nails used for. The seem to be decorative nails used in upholstery.
    What am I missing?

They are so attractive I want to find an excuse to use them. Maybe in a small box?

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...-B35?node=4128

Blog Entries
    Chris Schwarz has written a few items on cut nails.

The nails at Lie-Nielsen are made in France. There was an article on the manufacturer recently, can't recall where. It didn't go into the use of the nails.

I purchased a box to use on five and six board benches. They came from Tremont Nail in Mansfield, MA. They do add a decorative touch. Before using the nails I would mount them in a metal vise and use a cold chisel to make a few burrs along the corners of the shaft. My thought is this will help them hold with a bit of a bite.

How is your French? Dr. Google returns a lot of hits on > Clous-Rivierre < in French. Add > nails < to the search and things come up in English.

There is a technique for using cut nails involving orientation to the grain. In some situations it is helpful to pre-drill to avoid splitting.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Here is a link to one of the benches made using cut nails:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ix-Board-Bench

The nails can be seen in the first image.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

They work well for quick rustic style projects and are nicely decorative. I use them for boxes, etc. They hold very well and look better than screws.

Reminds me a little of Green & Green furniture, though I think that stuff used mostly decorative "heads."

I'm not an expert on such things.

I used them when I made a Dutch Tool chest. They hold better than any nails I have used, you will destroy the wood trying to get them out. The heads are very large, 1/2" across.

IMG_1021.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images