Thread: What's The Name of This Finish?

What's The Name of This Finish?

You use a deep grained wood like oak and you fill the grain with one color but the rest with another color? It's not pickling or white washing. I think it has a French name.

George Frank was a noted user of such a technique, and even had a French patent brevet d'invention dating to 1928. In his book, Wood Finishing With George Frank. 1988he called the method "decoratively filled pores" Frank was French so he may have used french in other writings.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    George Frank was a noted user of such a technique, and even had a French patent brevet d'invention dating to 1928. In his book, Wood Finishing With George Frank. 1988he called the method "decoratively filled pores" Frank was French so he may have used french in other writings.
    He was Hungarian by birth. Worked in France most of his adult life.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Cerused.............?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falcone View Post
    You use a deep grained wood like oak and you fill the grain with one color but the rest with another color? It's not pickling or white washing. I think it has a French name.
    Is this the look you want (look at closeup at 6:59 in this video)?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iKwxDB_dd4

Liming wax:
    https://www.amazon.com/Briwax-Liming.../dp/B0149IRSJY

I've experimented with gold, silver, red and other colors, usually on black painted or dyed open-grained wood like ash.

JKJ

In the guitar world they call it doghair.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I've had similar results with PLA finishing when I used Acetone finishing. Then a clearcoat to protect it.

Rob, that is a beautiful finish. I used to make electric guitars in the UK for an American called Dan Armstrong. Ours were all solid Honduras Mahogany with a clear finish. Although they were attractive, the finish was nowhere near as interesting as your photo

Thanks Andy. I wish I could take credit for it. That's a Collings SoCo model, made in Austin Texas. They do some very nice work down there. Here's another variation, but using a grain filler that doesn't contrast as much for a (more or less) traditional TV Yellow.

Here's another Doghair version that's a little more subdued.

Last edited by Rob Luter; 09-09-2016 at 3:50 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.