Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small questions thread? Or, my small questions about a cabinet project.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cobbing View Post
    Thanks Gerry, Mark, and Wayne for your advice.

I agree that the best way to remedy the problem is to build a level platform and stack the cabinets on top. However, I think that if I did so, the holes that I've drilled to attach the cabinets to each other (with sex bolts) will no longer line up (i.e., the adjustments will put the holes slightly out of alignment). Additionally, I'm guessing that taking all the cabinets down, building a new base, and putting them all up again will take me another 1-2 days (yup, I'm that slow). Meanwhile, DW can't understand why she isn't allowed to fill up the cabinets yet (because they look finished) and I need to get back to my real job!

With the above in mind, I've attached a couple of photos showing what I'm dealing with. I understand that the installation right now is pretty amateurish, but I wonder if any of you would suggest to just leave it as-is with the composite shims. Opinions? As the photos show, the full weight of the assembly is not resting solely on the shims - only the front edges.

BTW, I decided early on that I would build these shelves to be floor-bearing rather than wall-bearing because the other side of the wall is already completely filled (floor-to-ceiling) with stud-mounted bookshelves. I figured it would be better to not add additional weight to these studs on the other side of the wall, since I'm not sure how well this wall was framed (post-construction addition).

Thanks again for all the advice!

Front, middle shim:
    Ken, The shims you have shown are only providing support at your vertical panels. If you build a full platform you'll have full support along the bottom row of shelfs, so they can hold more weight. If you don't plan to load more than a few pounds on the bottom shelfs your shims should be fine. Wood sags with weight.

If you build a level platform for your entire shelf unit, your current screw holes between units should still line up correctly if you screwed those pieces together initially sitting on a flat reference surface.

A few people mentioned scribing the platform to the floor to make it level. Scribing is kind of the opposite of shining, where you remove material rather than add shims. It can be done with a scroll saw, or in a jam, a circular saw. If you aren't familiar with scribing Google, 'cabinet scribe'.

Are these shelf in a potentially wet area, such as a garage? Are they on concrete? If so, they will probably last longer (i.e. stay dry) if you get them a few inches off the ground, another advantage of a stable, level platform. Besides hosing out the garage, new concrete can emit water, water can condense on it during humid days,... Untreated wood touching concrete is asking for trouble.
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 08-30-2016 at 12:40 AM.
    Mark McFarlane

Hi Mark,

It sounds like you are saying that leaving the cabinet assembly shimmed as it is now should not be a problem (although not ideal), with the only real disadvantage being the bottom shelf not being fully supported by the floor. I think I can live with that if it means not having to disassemble everything, build a level platform, and then reassemble.

The shelves are in my newly-finished utility room. The floor is old concrete. Before building the shelves I stripped the old floor tiles, applied a moisture retarder on the concrete, and then laid new SVT tiles. I also finished the bottoms of the cabinets with polyurethane. Hopefully all of this means that the shelves will not be affected by moisture.

Hi Mark,

It sounds like you are saying that leaving the cabinet assembly shimmed as it is now should not be a problem (although not ideal), with the only real disadvantage being the bottom shelf not being fully supported by the floor. I think I can live with that if it means not having to disassemble everything, build a level platform, and then reassemble.

The shelves are in my newly-finished utility room. The floor is old concrete. Before building the shelves I stripped the old floor tiles, applied a moisture retarder on the concrete, and then laid new SVT tiles. I also finished the bottoms of the cabinets with polyurethane. Hopefully all of this means that the shelves will not be affected by moisture.
    You should be fine Ken unless a sink, or washing machine leaks or sump pump malfunctions, in which case your shelf project is probably trashed. The shims should actually help a little in keeping the bottom shelf dry (air circulation), but next time consider building a platform for longevity.

When you load the shelves, keep the heavy stuff towards the edge and the light stuff in the middle. That will minimize sag in the shelves over time. If you have screwed or glued the sides of the shelves in place, adding a screw or two in the middle of each shelf going thru the back of the cabinet will also help to prevent some sag.

I have some 30 year old veneered particle board shelves on shelf pins that I flip over every year or two so they sag back to flat . If I kept them in the original orientation, by now they would probably be U shaped and too short to hit the shelf pins.
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 08-30-2016 at 10:07 AM.
    Mark McFarlane

Mark,

The utility room does have a washing machine and water heater (both new), but they are both on the opposite, outside-facing wall, and as I've just discovered, the floor is sloped slightly in that direction. I see no evidence of water intrusion in the utility room since it was built in the 1960s. Hopefully that trend continues for the time that I'm in this home.

Nevertheless, I fully agree that I should have built a platform from the start. This is my first significant woodworking project and I've learned a lot from my mistakes.

The shelves are pocket screwed to both the sides and back panel (all 3/4") every 6". Based on what the sagulator tells me, I shouldn't have to worry about shelf sag. I hope that's correct!

I've questioned myself over the last week if all the time, cost, and effort was worth it vs. spending $1,000 on IKEA shelving. I'm still not sure

Mark,

... This is my first significant woodworking project and I've learned a lot from my mistakes.

...I've questioned myself over the last week if all the time, cost, and effort was worth it vs. spending $1,000 on IKEA shelving. I'm still not sure
    If I could remember all the mistakes I have made in life I would be a genius.

Ken, you will smile every time you walk by the shelves, for years in the future. Rest assured it was worth the time and effort. Load up your wife's 'stuff' for her to complete the gift, she can rearrange it later.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Conerly View Post
    I'm afraid to google that.
    Sex bolts is a safe google thing. Well, it only returns safe stuff when I do it..... but google may have figured out what I like to google.....

That said.... This is a safe link. You take a look at one picture and you say "oh yeah, I know those"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_bolt

So far I've tried to remedy by using composite shims. After using the full height of 1/4" shims, this has brought the back of the top cabinets about 1.25" from the wall, about 0.5" farther from the wall than the base cabinets. The shelves are now near perfectly level, so the remainder of the problem must be because of the wall not being plumb.

What would you all do in this situation?
    It is very common for a builder to run studs along a wall just so that they have a plumb reference. I would do something similar here. If it is too late for that, or if you do not want to off set things from the wall that much, then take a 2x4 (or similar), set the 2x4 plumb as close to the wall as possible, scribe it, then cut along your scribe line. You will end up with a "custom shim". Well, OK, I guess you don't need to do it in the vertical direction, you could also create a shim that is horizontal, but you still can scribe and then cut with a band-saw or similar. I don't own a band saw so I would use a hand held tool to do it, but the process is the same.

Pictures when you are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    This isn't going to help much, but your situation shows one of the benefits of building the cabinets in situ. Create a level base, than scribe the vertical parts of the cabinet to the back wall, then measure and add the shelves.

Since your cabinets are already built, and the wall leans 'away' from the cabinets, I'd start by building a level base out of pressure treated wood, stack the cabinets on the base, then shim the middle and tops of the cabinets to the wall, then put a new top across the whole assembly, scribed to the back wall, so you don't have a gap between the wall and cabinets for stuff to fall into.
    +1 Build a level base and go from there - especially if you're working on a garage floor with a slope.