Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on Patrick Edward Bench?

As on can see from the pictures my thought on the Edwards bench. I built mine from page 30 of The work bench by Lon Schlening. I married the European and the Modern before I ever heard of the Edwards bench. I also built the Klausz bench slave on page 233 of The work bench Book by Scott Landis. It allows me to work long boards using the shoulder vise. If I had to do it over again I would put the leg vise at the other end. It would be easier to work right or left handed on the bench. Personally I only use the leg vise 2 % of the time so I have trouble understanding why everyone seems to think the Roubo style bench is the only bench to build. But then it is only my opinion. Would I put a leg vise on if I could do I over. yes, but it was an after thought the first time.

DSC02361.JPG DSC02363.JPG DSC02364.JPG DSC02366.JPGDSC02368.JPGDSC02369.JPGDSC02367.JPG
    Tom

I am also tempted to drill holes in the front face of the bench between the dog holes. That way I could use my holdfasts in the front too. IA friend of mine forged them for me using a single tire iron for the steel.
    Tom

Here are some more pictures of the use of both the tail vise and the shoulder vise. The first one has a drawer. It is a lot easier to work this way than to work twisted sideways. Also fast of clamping other things when you wish to get up close and personal. I also show some dovetail work in the shoulder vise as well as in the moxon.
    A lot of time went into finding the correct bench height for me personally. So I find the height when doing dovetails in the shoulder vise a little more comfortable than with the moxon vise.

DSC02834.JPG DSC02835.JPG DSC02837.JPG DSC02838.JPG DSC02839.JPG DSC02840.JPG

I am also at the present, building a work bench for my grandson for Christmas. He will be 11 this month and has already talked his step mother out of a battery powered drill. He told his grandmother that he thought he loved tools more than his grandpa.

So here is a picture of some of the top being clamped with 24" clamps and glued up. Also another reason for so large a top. I will say that I was looking at the Rockler catalog and found a heavy duty caster set for rolling around workbenches. I also saw that the were removable to get rid of the trip hazard. I have a set on another heavy piece of machinery and they work good They aren't removable though. Being able to move a workbench just like a table saw or shaper has some advantages. Just some more thoughts on the matter

DSC02769.JPG

Why did I take the time to post, because there are other style benches out there besides the Roubo with a leg vise. I am guessing I have about $100 invested in not one, not two but 3 vises. Moxom vise hardware alone will cost over $150. I made my own moxon hardware by the way
    Last edited by Tom Bussey; 09-04-2016 at 5:58 PM.
    Tom

Very nice work on your bench, Tom. Personally, I like a shoulder vise and a traditional tail vise and using the space below for a small chest of drawers (less dust accumulation than simple shelves); I don't like tool troughs (loss of bench top real estate and there's always something sticking up and in the way), and even thinking about the feel of a bench top after roughing it up with a toothing plane gives me the willies.