Thread: Black locust

Black locust

I have a friend who is a Catawba Indian. He wants to make a bow, as his ancestors used. The favored wood for the Southeastern Indians was Black Locust. I want to find him a couple of bow blanks about 6 ft long. I found two pieces on ebay but the grain didn't look to uniform. Anyone know where I may get some split black locust bow blanks or a plank that would be straight?

You may need to harvest this yourself--I can't say I've seen it on the racks of any of the various lumber sources I have visited, at least that I noticed. Osage Orange (Bos 'd Arc) is also a candidate for the purpose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mac...I didn't know black locust was used for bows. For some reason I thought it was hickory in these parts. Velly intellesting.....Anyway, locust is used some for fence posts on farms so you might try lumber supply places (building supply) out in the country. Any place that sells fencing supplies. You might have better luck finding it in the country closer to the mountains since it grows naturally in the hilly climates. Wonder if they sell black locust in Locust, NC? It got it's name from something!!!

Good luck.

Black Locust is very common in the uplands around here.

Was not aware it was good for anything but rabbit habitat, firewood, fenceposts and flattening tractor or truck tires with those long steel like thorns.
    I understand it and Hedge was planted in the area for fenceposts.
    Now it`s more like a noxious weed. I once worked for a month cutting the stuff for a farmer while on strike at the factory. It was taking over his pasture and injuring his cattle.
    I have never seen it in lumber form at all.
    As was mentioned you might do better taking a saw to the woods and cutting a few saplings. Do be sure to wear good leather gloves and watch those thorns.
    The wounds are almost gauranteed to become infected.
    Last edited by Jim Dannels; 09-28-2005 at 11:16 PM.

I watched a guy making Appalachian chairs with only muscle power. He was using a froe and a mallet to split green logs down to blanks for shaping with a drawknife. He had a bunch of black locust he'd acquired by helping a neighbor drop it. He really liked working with the locust. It splits nicely along the fiber lines, it flexes nicely, and it is very strong when dry. It seems to me that all those properties would make is a fine wood for a bow.

Three woods, that I know of, were commonly used by Indians to make bows. Osage Orange, Black Locust (Southeastern Indians) and Hackberry.

I have Hackberry on my property. Black Locust grows in NC but I don't know where there is any I can get my hands on, hence the thread being posted. Osage Orange was more commonly used in the Mid-West.

Since my friend is a Catawba Indian (South Carolina centered tribe), I thought it most appropriate to find some Black Locust for him. The hunt goes on.

An article appeared in the local newspaper on Sunday featuring a local woodworker in Westby, WI who makes cutting boards and uses them as business cards. The article said he works primarily with Black Locust. I can't remember the man's name or his business.

Black Locust is considered an invasive species in Wisconsin. I've rarely seen it sold as lumber despite being so common. I'll do a little research and try contacting him. Maybe he'll be able to help you get what you need.

-Kevin
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    I watched a guy making Appalachian chairs with only muscle power. He was using a froe and a mallet to split green logs down to blanks for shaping with a drawknife. He had a bunch of black locust he'd acquired by helping a neighbor drop it. He really liked working with the locust. It splits nicely along the fiber lines, it flexes nicely, and it is very strong when dry. It seems to me that all those properties would make is a fine wood for a bow.
    Actually, if you're going to make bows from it you would have to split it this way. As straight as the grain is for locust, you'd still probably cut the grain if using power tools. That'd make it too weak to make a bow out of it. Oh, and I would guess that this is best done when the wood is green, or nearly green. Splitting after it drys would probably be darn near impossible.
    Last edited by Bill Lewis; 09-29-2005 at 11:19 AM.

Smile

I saw black locust quite frequently for grade lumber on my sawmill. I like to work it in the shop and it does have one unusual property...fluorescence. I also saw osage orange for a local bowyer...gee they are a picky lot. The log has to be sawed with just the proper grain to make a bow that works. I don’t know what I’m doing so I just put the blade where the bowyer tells me. Sometimes they prefer rived blanks to follow the grain.

I suggest you contact somebody that makes bows and get a blank from them.

Just a small correction....black locust has little thorns. The long tire killing thorns are from honey locust.

Sawing black locust for your viewing pleasure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry

Honey Locust grows like a noxious weed on the property I grew up on in the Pacific Northwest (Washington state). Maybe check that region.

My dad is a hobbiest bowyer, and has many bowyer freinds. In their region, Pacific Yew is the preferred choice for bowmaking. But, there are lots of woods that will make great bows. Hickory, Osage, bamboo, Locust, etc. Some guys have made "fencepost" bows... Out of Oasage Orange fenceposts.

Of course this doesn't help you in finding a source for Locust, for your friend to make the bow he wants. But I know Locust is plentiful in the Northwest. I'd look for a local bowyer to buy material from. Check ads in the back of "Traditional Bowhunter" magazine for starters. Also, the mentoring family of my dad's hobby, runs a traditional archery business. PM me, and I'll send you the link to one of the most notable boyers of this century.... (I don't want to post the link to create web traffic of looky lou's....) But they probably know where you can get Black Locust bow staves...
    Last edited by Scott Parks; 09-30-2005 at 12:05 PM.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Here is a link that I found for a black locust supplier. I hope this helps.

http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/011595.php

Thank you for all the tips.
    Mac

As promised...

I found the article from the La Crosse Tribune featuring a local woodworker. His name is James Elliott. His business is Twisted Walnut Woodworking in Westby, Wisconsin - (608)634-4702.

The article says he buys whole black locust logs and has them cut into lumber. Based on the comments of some here who recommend splitting green wood to get the bow blanks, he might be able to help where a hardwood lumber supplier will only be able to provide dried lumber.

Good luck...

-Kevin
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."