Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Design Ideas For Processing Logs Into Turning Blanks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bench Design Ideas For Processing Logs Into Turning Blanks

I'm looking for a safe and secure way to process average size logs into blanks for bowls, platters and turnings for use in my basement shop. I want something where you can stand and make the cuts.

Anyone have any creative and easy to build benches for processing logs?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Garafalo View Post
    I'm looking for a safe and secure way to process average size logs into blanks for bowls, platters and turnings for use in my basement shop. I want something where you can stand and make the cuts.

Anyone have any creative and easy to build benches for processing logs?

Thank you
    I build a saw buck that is sturdy and has no metal parts in the top, so it is safe to use the chainsaw on it, I build it after seeing a picture of one made by John Lannom, I had/have no measurements, I used some pressure treated wood I had sitting.

The top two pieces 2X6 are held on with 5” long 1” dowels, (I turned some Oak for that) got a picture of the one from John Lannom and the one I build by my firewood pile.

Legs are set at 20 degree both ways, HTH

John Lannom saw buck.jpg Firewood.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I've been needing to build something myself. Figured holding pieces with my foot wasn't a good idea so I go a big bandsaw, but I still need a way to make the chunks small enough to process on the saw.

Hopefully Reed will post up the video of his contraption. It is a beautiful machine and a fine piece of engineering!

I realize you said you wanted to stand while cutting, but a timber jack certainly does make things fast when chunking up a long limb or trunk.

Big logs are so heavy and unwieldy that it's harder to get them on a bench or saw buck than it is to cut them bending over -- just my opinion, of course. Use wedges to hold them in place.

IMHO a sawbuck is what you need. They are small enough to take to the wood. Wedges are nice, but bucks keep the work off the chain-dulling earth, which is my biggest problem.

Thank you everyone for your input and some good ideas.

I went simple. I fasten three cedar 4x4s to a piece of plywood and put it on saw horses. Quick, cheap, portable, sacrificial. The 4x4s are set parallel with different spaces between them to hold different sized rounds. I often lay pieces the other way across all three 4x4s.

Stuff too big for this I cut on the ground on pieces of old plywood and/or sections of 4x4.

I use a electric Stihl chainsaw for all my slicing at the shop since it is quiet, instant on/off, needs no gasoline. After sectioning into pieces less than 12" in at least one dimension and making a rough flat spot if needed, I carry the pieces inside and finish on the big bandsaw. I make some bowl blanks but more for spindles, boxes, and other relatively small things.

JKJ

I like simple too. Mine is a 20"dia x 16" tall virgin longleaf stump with a shallow V cut into the top. Rot proof and dense with a few wooden wedges laying about. Has never moved in use.

Blog Entries
    White oak stump on wheels same height as tailgate on pickup . 20 x20 flat drive ,then rool it in to shop door . Jib crane and face plate ,1" climbing webing . No lifting . Shavings back in truck to spread in woods . O most important electric saw so as to not disturb Her .

Being 74 and counting, I try to stay in shape by using my muscles, however to stay safe and not get over-tired, standing upright is a good idea.

I have used the stump idea for many years, however when cutting whole logs a buck works better for me, lifting one end onto the buck and the the other end to slide it in place works well for me, mind you I have to shorten some larger logs to be able to handle them.
    saw block.jpg

The buck that was linked to earlier I find not very safe as it is angled to steep IMO, making the halves possible pinch the chainsaw and causing a kickback, If I was to build that one, I would change that to a less steep angle.
    cutting buck.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    I've been needing to build something myself. Figured holding pieces with my foot wasn't a good idea so I go a big bandsaw, but I still need a way to make the chunks small enough to process on the saw.

Hopefully Reed will post up the video of his contraption. It is a beautiful machine and a fine piece of engineering!
    Here's the link for Reed's Chainsaw Chopsaw, super-cool, super-saw-buck.

I did one from the MN woodturners site and added a MDF convertible top for inside the shop. Cut the bottom support to fit a HF movers dolly. It's become my roll-around tool caddy to put stuff while turning and the spot where I do anything messy like glue-ups or waxing blanks etc. I don't use the extension arm much anymore but it's there if needed.

lpc6.jpglpc5.jpglpc4.jpglpc2.jpglpc7.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Here's what I use
    IMG_0361.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .