Thread: Wood Identification

Wood Identification

Trying to ID a wood used in a vanity found in a photo. Initially thought it might be a walnut .. but the more I look it appears tropical ... teak?

VanityHandles.jpg
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

It's probably formica, or something similar.

It does have the appearance of oiled Teak. - but even if it is real wood, this kind of ID is near-impossible without seeing the end grain, feeling the weight, seeing it un-finished, etc.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 08-28-2016 at 7:42 PM.

From the figuring it looks like teak. Cheers

That's going to be near impossible since the color was probably altered.It looks too perfect.
    I like wood I'd posts do you have any others?

Aj

Thanks Wayne ... I was thinking similar. Attached another photo of the unit. It has a very similar appearance to some Indonesian Teak pieces I've seen in the Caribbean (insect resistance). No, I don't think it is formica or any other plastic laminate.

And for those inveterate wood identification experts ... over the weekend I made up a series of drawers from Sassafras and it is the first time I'd worked with the wood. Machined nicely enough and seems stable though it is relatively soft. I had been given a pile of the wood by my sawyer and this project moved some of the wood and got the drawers done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Thanks Wayne ... I was thinking similar. Attached another photo of the unit. It has a very similar appearance to some Indonesian Teak pieces I've seen in the Caribbean (insect resistance). No, I don't think it is formica or any other plastic laminate.
    Why? You've only seen it in a photo. (just asking.)

"Artificial" wood is very common in bathrooms, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 08-28-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Could be east indian rosewood. Or Kingwood.

Mike

A drawer box made from Sassafras does it have a nice smell?

I've seen furniture with that look that was made in 1960's and labeled walnut. Like the pic it didn't look exactly like walnut....so I'm guessing it's walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Could be east indian rosewood. Or Kingwood.

Mike
    It could also be bleached and dyed ebony. Or just about anything.

If it is wood, then teak would make sense for a wet area like a vanity. However, the perfect grain match from top to bottom across the entire front makes me think it's a laminate.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    If it is wood, then teak would make sense for a wet area like a vanity. However, the perfect grain match from top to bottom across the entire front makes me think it's a laminate.
    Exactly what I thought.

That approach is easily accomplished by building an mdf core with the individual panels separated by a strip of wood of the finished veneer. Then have the entire top veneered. Cut the panels apart in the center of the wood strip. There is a shop (K&B) in Cairo NY (Catskill region) that specializes in that veneer work. A home shop can also setup that type of veneering with a vacuum or other press. But as they say, "let the plumbers plumb."

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    A drawer box made from Sassafras does it have a nice smell?
    The machining was exceptionally pleasant!

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Why? You've only seen it in a photo. (just asking.) "Artificial" wood is very common in bathrooms, for obvious reasons.
    Allan, I suppose it is always possible that it is plastic laminate. Though I would expect to see more repeating patterns, or an edge. For instance, the right and left doors have matched panels though distinctly different. The application on the mirror - which appears to be the same surface material as the vanity - would lead me to think it is solid wood. Or the fabricator did an exceptional job mitering the laminate across the edge. In this case, plastic laminate (nothing against it) is not a quality level the enquiring architect is seeking.

One of the clients I work with has been ordering all their furniture for their BVI property, custom made in Indonesia (or so they've been told) of locally sourced teak. A photo I found on-line appears like below. The wood in the photo appears lighter, but is otherwise to me, similar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 08-29-2016 at 11:24 AM.