Thread: Festool Domino Spacers?

Festool Domino Spacers?

Another member on another thread mentioned these on eBay. I'm wondering what they are used for?
    My guess would be that you place them on the pins on the indexing fence on the Domino 500 to move the mortise closer from the edge of a piece depending on the size of the spacer. Any thoughts on this? Domino 500's are sold now with paddles instead of pins which would make them useless on the new style fence. Just curious.

Ha! I read the same thread and went to eBay myself. Like you I have no clue what they're used for.

The auxiliary fence has stops on it that flip down and reduce the distance to the paddles anyway.

Tagging along...

What auxiliary fence? I have the original; maybe it is something newer?

I nearly bought the spacers a few years ago, but decided they were too expensive for the once a year I would use them.

The description at ebay pretty much explains what they are for and applies only to the pin type (original) domino.

Includes 5 discs to center mortise in
    1-1/2", 1-3/4", 2", 2-1/4" and 2-1/2" wide material
    Myself, I use the Seneca Domiplate and the RTS SCG to augment the full kit supplied with the domino. I suspect they will work with the newer 'paddle' types as well.

Also use a Woodhaven jig for plate joiners that adapts to the Domino where the machine is essentially 'stationary' and smallish stock is moved into position and clamped against adjustable fences allowing for accurate and secure positioning during the mortising process. Pretty sure this jig is no longer available from Woodhaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    What auxiliary fence? I have the original; maybe it is something newer?
    I'm probably not calling it the correct thing. The 90° plastic piece that you screw to the bottom of the domino for narrow edge work. It has two plastic pieces that you can swing forward to fu croon as the pins/paddles do to place a stop closer to the center of the cutter.

I believe this is what Marc is talking about, looks like an added feature to the one included in the original kit.
    The discs at ebay pretty much functions the same but with fixed increments for those who have the original domino
    side stops domino.JPG
    Last edited by Tom Ewell; 08-28-2016 at 3:26 PM.

Shane over at FOG says the newer version of the aux fence (base support bracket) will work with the older pin style if that feature is desired and alternatives are not already in play.
    It'll direct fit just like the old version.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    Shane over at FOG says the newer version of the aux fence (base support bracket) will work with the older pin style if that feature is desired and alternatives are not already in play.It'll direct fit just like the old version.
    True, but people should know the eBay discs (see first post) will not fit the new style fence which has paddles. The discs are made for the old style fence which had pins. The base supports are made to fit either fence and not an after market product.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Womer View Post
    True, but people should know the eBay discs (see first post) will not fit the new style fence which has paddles. The discs are made for the old style fence which had pins. The base supports are made to fit either fence and not an after market product.
    Right, Festool makes the bracket I pictured and is compatible with all Dominos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    Shane over at FOG says the newer version of the aux fence (base support bracket) will work with the older pin style if that feature is desired and alternatives are not already in play.
    It'll direct fit just like the old version.
    As I read it, it adds one stop at 20mm to the existing stop of 37mm. Is that correct?
    It is cheaper at $33, but less versatile. But of course, I have gotten along without either for 10 years.

That was my bad! I had no idea that the newer versions of the Domino didn't have the pins any longer. I bought my domino 8-10 years ago...haven't looked at a new one obviously.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    As I read it, it adds one stop at 20mm to the existing stop of 37mm. Is that correct?
    It is cheaper at $33, but less versatile. But of course, I have gotten along without either for 10 years.
    I don't know any more about it than what's on the write up, I'm in the same boat as Chris and bought early, while I did hear about the paddle thingies I didn't realize the auxiliary fence had new features until this discussion.