Thread: varnish for exterior mahogany door

varnish for exterior mahogany door

My front door gets morning sun on the lower half and it needs a new clear coat. Suggestions please for a quality varnish

I used Marine Spar Varnish on my Mahagony door that got the afternoon sun. It has held up for over 5 years. I would post a picture but we moved fro that house earlier this year.

I agree with a Marine Spar Varnish--but point out that marine spar is almost only found in yachting supply retailers. Good one include Epifanes Gloss, Interlux Schooner, Pettit Captain's. Follow directions on the labels, but these may need a bit of thinning (especially the Epifanes). Regular maintenance will add to longevity. If you see the gloss start to dull it's time to refresh be scuff sanding (320 grit is good) and then a refresher coat or two. Probably won't be needed every year, but don't let it get away for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    I agree with a Marine Spar Varnish--but point out that marine spar is almost only found in yachting supply retailers.
    I just checked Amazon and they still sell it.

Just recently completed a complete redo of my Mahogany front door, had to strip whatever finish was on the door, the door gets southwest afternoon sun. I used Epifanes Gloss varnish that I bought from Jamestown Distributors on the door. A couple of points about Epifanes Gloss; wow is it gloss, the finish is quite dark and after the necessary coats (6 -8) it makes the Mahogany look wonderful.

Yes, I see that, but you really need to know which product you want, since Amazon also shows lots of pretty marginal stuff under the same heading of marine spar varnish.

If you need to buy on-line, I suggest checking out Defender.com. They often have good prices. No relationship.

I just want to say that I have had very poor results from Minwax Spar varnish with cypress outdoor furniture. It failed in less than a year with a couple of Adirondack chairs under a porch and mostly out of the weather. Get a well know name brand product with a good reputation like Steve mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    I agree with a Marine Spar Varnish--but point out that marine spar is almost only found in yachting supply retailers. Good one include Epifanes Gloss, Interlux Schooner, Pettit Captain's. Follow directions on the labels, but these may need a bit of thinning (especially the Epifanes). Regular maintenance will add to longevity. If you see the gloss start to dull it's time to refresh be scuff sanding (320 grit is good) and then a refresher coat or two. Probably won't be needed every year, but don't let it get away for you.
    Those spar varnishes are all gloss, which is not what I want on a door. Anybody know of a quality spar varnish that is semigloss or satin?

I use the oil based min-wax helmsman satin and love the finish. I have used it on some blue stain pine outdoor table tops and it has held up brilliantly. It is never in full sun though. I also used it on an oak ply desk top and it has held up very well.
    http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...-spar-urethane

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Those spar varnishes are all gloss, which is not what I want on a door. Anybody know of a quality spar varnish that is semigloss or satin?
    Well, not a spar varnish, but some folks swear by General Finishes 450, the product comes in gloss, semi-gloss and satin. I tried some GF 450 on some scrap Mahogany I had and cannot say it did much to enhance the color of Mahogany, kind of very sterile looking..

Maybe late to the party here, but I have southern exposure to wooden front door and it gets full Texas solar hammering.

Sikkens Cetol! 5-stars from me.

There are exterior waterborne polyurethanes available if you don't care for the look of the yellow goo of spar varnish. I've had good success with the ZAR brand. If you stay up on the maintenance of it, you only have to give it a light scuff-sanding before applying a fresh coat every few years, and it dries in an hour or less (you would still need to remove any weatherstripping for 24 hours to be able to shut the door).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore