Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used DJ-20 for novice

thanks, I will invest in feeler gauges before I see the machine today. I guess I'd just use my level to find any gaps and slide gauges under to see how large the gap is? what is an amount where you'd be comfortable still buying the machine.

no winding sticks at home depot according to their site and amazon won't get them to me today so I guess I'll have to try two levels and just see if something looks really wonky.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    A set of feeler gauges will cost $5. You'll want (need) them to set up the jointer after you buy it so go ahead and make the investment. If you keep them lightly oiled they will last 1000 years.

You can use most anything with a uniform thickness and an edge as winding sticks, e.g. these plastic engineer's rulers for $5 should get you in the ballpark: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Engine...e/dp/B00BM3DPA. Some color variation between the two sticks will help you see the offset (marker, tape,... can be used). Youtube winding sticks and you will be a pro in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    You need to read about the return on investment interval.
    That's about the value of the cutter head long term. I approximate that value, but it costs about $400 new. Wouldn't get full retail used and would still make that used price of the jointer $1000 without the head where we're talking about the jointer with straight knives being worth about $800.

So I'd value the jointer with the shelix around $1000 of $1100. I think $1200 would be too of the value.

Am I missing something ?

So I'd value the jointer with the shelix around $1000 of $1100.
    That's the low end of the going rate on Craigslist here with straight knives.

If you think it's worth $600 with straight knives, you'll never find one here for that price.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Gerry,
    I really hate to disagree with you on that. A DJ-20 just sold for $700 outside Toledo. I was going to buy that one but could not make the trip before it was already sold.

I will agree, it would be difficult to find one you would actually want for $600, but not entirely impossible.

Are you saying one in is condition should be more than 600 or it isn't worth buying?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Murray View Post

I will agree, it would be difficult to find one you would actually want for $600, but not entirely impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    That's the low end of the going rate on Craigslist here with straight knives. If you think it's worth $600 with straight knives, you'll never find one here for that price.
    Every area is different. $800 is prob more realistic in this area. Although I don't know if you see all that many used 8" jointers anywhere.

As is often mentioned, with the current prices of grizzly 8" with spiral, it's tough to get more than the grizzly new price for a used tool - even if potentially a better tool.

I've done well waiting for deals in the past. Sellers who aren't in a hurry can also get the top of the range that's higher than in usually willing to pay.

This is the calculus I used.
    Grizzly model is $1500 delivered. If I was able to get a DJ-20 and a shelix head for a couple hundred less than the grizzly I would be ahead, in my opinion.

I have not seen the machine in person, heard it run, or inspected the pitting on the tables so I cannot offer and educated opinion. With that said, considering the bit or rust, I would push for $700-800 on that machine. Odd are, if you show up with cash and willing to walk away they will fold.

Where are you located? That may help us determine a value, regional values differ.

Quote Originally Posted by john schnyderite View Post
    Are you saying one in is condition should be more than 600 or it isn't worth buying?
    Last edited by Dale Murray; 08-31-2016 at 2:06 PM.

Ok, so I went to see it. Fence and tables seemed pretty flat to me. Motor sounded great. Surface rust was better than the photo. I moved the guard and noticed the blades and cutterhead seemed more rusty. I planned on replacing the knives, but do you think the cutterhead can be cleaned up and used?

Quote Originally Posted by john schnyderite View Post
    Ok, so I went to see it. Fence and tables seemed pretty flat to me. Motor sounded great. Surface rust was better than the photo. I moved the guard and noticed the blades and cutterhead seemed more rusty. I planned on replacing the knives, but do you think the cutterhead can be cleaned up and used?
    I just bought the baby brother (DJ-15) a week ago and it was a very similar situation to yours. Some surface rust on the table and the cutter head was a little rusty. Elbow grease cleaned both up fairly easily. I disassembled the cutter head and sprayed it down with some rust remover and it cleaned up pretty nice. I got up it up and running and it works great. Only issue I have with it at the moment is that the aluminum table lips by the cutter head were damaged and kind of dinged up but apparently that is one of those parts that you can’t get anymore. FYI on that. I sanded them pretty flat, but may look at having some machined in the future. I was holding out for a DJ-20, but couldn’t pass up the 6” for $200 in the shape it was in other than the light surface rust.

Rust on head can be removed- a green scotchbrite pad- and isn't an issue. I've even seen them dunked in evaporust but doubt that is necessary. Dave

Just buy it.

If the cutter head is so dirty you cannot clean it up I'll sell you mine for $50 plus shipping - I never intend to use it again. I have it packed in the shelix box and stashed - my tool hoarder instincts.

So did the OP pull the trigger and buy that DJ-20 or what ?

Just as a data point, when I upgraded I sold my DJ-20 for $1100. It was a solid machine, but no where near pristine. I had it on craigslist for a day and had multiple buyers interested so I didnt have to come down on price. Great machine and I really miss the long outfeed table, but 12" upgrade has come in more handy.

Blog Entries
    Just make yourself push blocks to hold the wood safely. I have a 6" jointer, had it for 10-12 years. I've never been hurt, but it scares me when I use it.

I use a block to push it through the jointer while holding it flat against the table.

I second the recommendation to buy it, based on your observations. Bring over a few pieces of hardwood to run them through it to check for actual operation, but odds are the knives will be quite dull, which won't necessarily give you a fair evaluation of how it'll perform.

Check beneath each of the tables for any cracks in the castings; some goes for around the centre section (where the cutterhead is bolted into), the fence and the fence mount.

Knives are readily available, so even if the existing ones are fine, purchase a spare set so you may swap them out when the others are being sent in for resharpening.

Sounds like you've got a good lead on what could be a great joiner. I owned a DJ-20 and sold it for without any difficulty after using it for 10 years; it was a great machine.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos