Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Torx Screwdriver Tip Broke Off In Cutterhead Insert Screw.

Help! Torx Screwdriver Tip Broke Off In Cutterhead Insert Screw.

Help! Torx Screwdriver Tip Broke Off In Cutterhead Insert Screw.
    Tried briefly to drill it to use an easy-out, but the tip must be hardened....
    Anybody?
    He who hesitates is lunch.

You need to get a carbide drill bit. One time I had to drill 20 torx screws for the same thing that happened to you. They do make better torx bits as well.
    http://www.wihatools.com/torxr-diamo...e9caAgvt8P8HAQ

Do you think a rare earth magnet would get it out or is it too jammed in there now ?

A rare earth magnet isn't going to do it. The tip broke off because it got twisted so it's wedged in there and won't come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    You need to get a carbide drill bit. One time I had to drill 20 torx screws for the same thing that happened to you. They do make better torx bits as well.
    http://www.wihatools.com/torxr-diamo...e9caAgvt8P8HAQ
    This exact experience was the reason for me to replace all my driver bits to a mix of Wiha and Wera. They are worth the small cost compared to dealing with this kind of headache.

In my case, I was able to grind the screw around the broken bit enough with a Dremel to remove the bit remnant and then unscrew with a better bit.

Good luck!

If you can buy a left hand carbide tipped drill, that would be the best..........Rod.

A left-handed drillbit isn't gonna make a difference at all. It will just drill the hole in reverse. You will still need to use an EZ out.

I've never had any luck trying to remove hardened steel bits broken off in a screw head like this.

Have you tried tapping on the bit with a small punch? Sometimes it just needs a nudge in the cc direction and it will pop out.

If that doesn't work, I would be thinking about using a Dremel and sacrificing the screw head by grinding enough to release bit & replace screw.

Blog Entries
    One option I have used with broken u-joint bolts on my Jeep is to use a Dremel rotary tool to flatten the broken end then use a thin cutoff wheel to cut a slot to fit a slotted bit screw driver. Hopefully a slight back-twist will loosen the bit enough for it to fall out. Easier than trying to drill the exact center of a hardened piece of tool steel. Have you tried just tapping it first? But if it is truly twisted and really jammed, then you are probably looking at a carbide drill and easy-out as suggested. By the way, easy-out is an oxymoron if you have ever used one. And if you broke off a bit trying to remove the screw, it is really in there! Last option is to drill out the whole thing and go up one screw size.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 09-01-2016 at 9:55 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Are you talking about a segmented four sided cutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Are you talking about a segmented four sided cutter?
    Rich brings up a good point. Most of those four sided cutters are carbide and can be broken. I know I've broken some when I hit a nail that was in a board.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Like a rock in a tire tread, this ort will come flying out with usage.
    So run some scrap for a couple of minutes and see if it doesn't loosen up.

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Like a rock in a tire tread, this ort will come flying out with usage.
    So run some scrap for a couple of minutes and see if it doesn't loosen up.
    I was wondering when someone would suggest that. Yeah, it will likely come out, but you might not like where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Rich brings up a good point. Most of those four sided cutters are carbide and can be broken. I know I've broken some when I hit a nail that was in a board.

Mike
    Indeed, simply break the four sided cutter if that is what he's discussing. Then a good pair of Vice Grips will easily back it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I was wondering when someone would suggest that. Yeah, it will likely come out, but you might not like where it goes.
    Maybe this should be done with full body armor, and using the breaker as the "switch", and a high speed camera to capture the event!
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last