Art Mann makes some good points about WinCNC, which controls my Camaster. I can preview the router's motion on the machine bed, see where the xy zero point is set, edit the toolpath, adjust the default settings/limits, adjust the feed speeds on screen while cutting, save a number of home positions for various jobs and restart at any point a cut file that has been shut down for whatever reason. I am not sure how much of those capabilities are available with the hand-held controllers. I have my CAD/CAM program loaded on the same PC, so I can make basic toolpath changes right in the shop (though I typically do the design elsewhere and transfer the files via thumbdrive). .

I don't worry too much about dust messing up the PC, just keep it out of the dust stream and keep the filter clean. I also keep it off the net unless absolutely necessary.

Regarding the Maslow referenced by William Adams, it is interesting for sure as an ultra low $ DIY kit, but not even vaguely in the same category as the PM/Axiom machines under discussion.