Thread: "The NEW Powermatic CNC for the true craftsman"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

"The NEW Powermatic CNC for the true craftsman"

A friend just sent me this link:

Powermatic CNC
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I gotta admit that I was curious because that quote sounded a bit like Chinese marketing, but maybe not. They certainly have a rich American history.

... [original owners] sold their business to Houdaille Industries. Although owned by a Fortune 500 Company, Powermatic continued to be influenced by the local community and run in autonomous fashion. In April of 1986, Powermatic was purchased and operated as a division of DeVlieg-Bullard, Inc. In October of 1999 Powermatic was purchased by WMH, who already owned Jet Tools, and Performax Products. These three companies along with the Wilton Tool Company were grouped together to form the WMH Tool Group. In 2014, Powermatic was purchased, along with its sister brands by Tenex Group and are now grouped together to form JPW Industries Inc., as they are still knowns today.

In July 2001, a “NEW” Powermatic emerged and a strategic business decision was made to pursue the general purpose industrial woodworking machinery market much more aggressively. From a family operated corn mill to a world class leader of industrial woodworking machinery ....
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

$8500 for a 2X4. That's the PM I come to expect these days. At least they give you a small spindle.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    $8500 for a 2X4. That's the PM I come to expect these days. At least they give you a small spindle.
    That's what I thought when I saw the price. The web page is short on details. I would be willing to bet that it's not American made..

It will appeal to the Mustard crowd.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I would rather they stay out of the CNC market with their re-branded made in china thing. General International has similar models without the stand. Interesting nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    I would rather they stay out of the CNC market with their re-branded made in china thing. General International has similar models without the stand. Interesting nonetheless.
    I look at it as good competition for the industry, the more, the merrier. I have an American made Camaster that I like very much but I would like it even more if it didn't cost so much.

Andy Rooney

Yes, I agree that it keeps the American made machines costs in check. The problem I find with the re-branded machines is the companies do not always have the personnel when it comes to servicing the customer. I would not want to have started learning my machine without the support team I have, but I guess this boils down to buyer awareness.

Nice looking machine and very similar to the Axiom Precision sold thru Rockler.

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by ed vitanovec View Post
    Nice looking machine and very similar to the Axiom Precision sold thru Rockler.
    </p>
    <p>
    Rockler also sells the Powermatic CNC. I asked out local Rockler store manager if he was ever going to get one in and he said, NO, it was too much money to tie up in inventory. I told him&nbsp;I wouldn&#39;t buy one without being able to see it in person and to get a demo. (This is also known as a Mexican stand-off where there are no winners.)</p>
    Last edited by Gary Iseli; 11-17-2017 at 12:00 PM.

The Powermatic CNC was designed by a US company (Kaber Technologies) who OEMed some of the basic operating components from AXIOM. There is generally a perception that all products made in China are of lower quality but that is not the case here. The AXIOM components are very heavy duty and the 3HP water-cooled spindle is likewise. Powermatic backs this up with a 5-year warranty which is unheard of in the industry. https://www.behance.net/gallery/4740...tic-CNC-Design
    By the way, if you think Chinese products are cheap, please tell me where you TV was made and is it cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Iseli View Post
    The Powermatic CNC was designed by a US company (Kaber Technologies) who OEMed some of the basic operating components from AXIOM. There is generally a perception that all products made in China are of lower quality but that is not the case here. The AXIOM components are very heavy duty and the 3HP water-cooled spindle is likewise. Powermatic backs this up with a 5-year warranty which is unheard of in the industry. https://www.behance.net/gallery/4740...tic-CNC-Design
    By the way, if you think Chinese products are cheap, please tell me where you TV was made and is it cheap?

I cant phathom how a machine that runs through several hands would be the choice but I know some love the gold paint. Its just my opinion and my opinion only, but there are simply too may other really impressive options for far more robust machines out there that will give far more bang for your buck AND you'll buy a machine that supports a domestic manufacturer. I have nothing whatsoever against the Chinese. They have a Naval fleet, a space program, they have some of the most advanced glaziers and glazing process in the world. The reason they get sold down the river and ship cheap junk to the US is because thats exactly what the buyers demand of them to support cheap US consumers as well as corporate profit margins. They have the capabilities to ship us the most advanced products if we would only pay for them (TV's are a pitiful example as they are not advanced anymore until your on the cutting edge of the newest tech). But then they wouldnt be the cheapest option anymore. Ask any high rise construction firm if Chinese glazing is the cheapest on the market. Its not, but its often times used because of its advancements.

All that aside, the issue is PM is not "making" anything. There are dozens of options for much more robust machines from manufacturers in the US and outside the US that ARE "making" things.

Mark, I agree with your comments.

So, the question is what machines would you recommend for a 36" x 24" router?

Accuracy is important to me, I'm currently using a tiny (12" x 10") Techno Davinci with upgraded drivers and controller, but it's extremely accurate with ball screws and linear guides.

Well reluctant to say because Ive been chastised before and may be deleted but Shopsabre has a 30x40 machine, ball screw, 600ipm, .001 accuracy machine, and Im sure Camaster, as well as Gary Campbell can offer their own advice as well as options on many other.

Sorry, but getting into machine specifics, brands, and so on seems to be a really touchy subject here. You even see small options from companies like velox though I have no idea about the specs and am always suspect with retailer based options.

Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    Mark, I agree with your comments.

So, the question is what machines would you recommend for a 36" x 24" router?

Accuracy is important to me, I'm currently using a tiny (12" x 10") Techno Davinci with upgraded drivers and controller, but it's extremely accurate with ball screws and linear guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    $8500 for a 2X4. That&#39;s the PM I come to expect these days. At least they give you a small spindle.
    3HP is not small!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lawrence View Post
    They certainly have a rich American history.
    So did Delta
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler