Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setting up shop in chicago

setting up shop in chicago

Folks, happy labor day weekend! So I've recently relocated to chicago and with a new house comes a huge list of projects. However, not having my shop set up is starting to be a huge pain. Before I start a big shop project, a couple of questions. First, the shop is right now a 2.5 car garage, detached, and basic stud framing, no drywall. I plan to put one car in at night. Am I going to really regret not insulating and drywalling the shop this winter? Or can a shop be workable through the winter without a thorough insulation job? I'm moving from the south so I really don't have a good frame of reference. Point me in the right direction please!

If it were me, I'd insulate it. Chicago gets pretty cold.

Definitely insulate the more the better

No insulation.... cold in winter.... hot in summer....

Even if you insulate it, without a heat source, it's going to be cold because it's detached. Insulation just slows the movement of heat, it doesn't create it. If you do add a heat source, it will cost you a fortune to run it without insulation. If you add a heat source and you only run it while you're in there and turn it off when you're not, your machines will be really cold on your hands and you may encounter problems with condensation forming on the surfaces because of the temperature difference. Bottom line is, for a detached building that you want to work in all year round, you're going to need both insulation and heat.

As it is right now, you can expect it to get below freezing in there pretty regularly in the winter.

if you have the option then definitely insulate and get a heater. find one of the threads here on the creek about garage heating options, there are some good ones.
    I've been working in an uninsulated detached garage in Chicago for a few years now with a 50$ space heater that is practically useless.
    If we're having a cold day (20 and below) It's impossible to work out there. and don't get me started on finishing.
    Don't forget the struggle Don't forget the streets

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Callender View Post
    Am I going to really regret not insulating and drywalling the shop this winter? Or can a shop be workable through the winter without a thorough insulation job?
    You will DEEPLY regret not insulating that space. Chicago winter can be brutal because of where it lies in the weather patterns as well as its proximity to the lake. You'll also want to add heat...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wink

Insulate....and start thinking of a way to get the car out of the garage

I didn't have room for my lathe in my shop, so I left it in the garage. After one winter it was very rusty. Sure, I should have waxed it like crazy, but still; plan on insulating and keeping a certain amount of heat in it.

Please consider insulating first; doing so later is more work than you think. I did this in reverse order and then when the time came to insulate and cover the walls, it required moving machinery, wall-mounted cabinets, clamp storage racks, etc etc. You will not regret insulating the walls now rather than later for this reason. Insulation is not expensive and your comfort will improve a lot. Cold hands can not hold tools well. Ask me how I know.

Having spent 21 years in the Windy City, you need to 1) air seal, 2) insulation, and 3) heat. Spray foam insulation will handle the air seal for you as well as the insulation. Insulated garage door with good seals on all 4 sides. You likely have gas available, which can be economical for heating. The spray foam will cost a lot more than fiberglass, but will stop the wind / air penetration and will probably pay back in a couple of years with reduced heating costs and more comfort (no drafts).

Good luck, my wife and I left Chicago intentionally for warmer weather in the late 70's and I try to avoid visiting family between November and April.

Brrrrr. It about killed me walking in January from Union Station to my office ~2 miles away. The wind coming off the lake is so cold its hard to breathe some days.
    Mark McFarlane

Blog Entries
    Best thing to do........ RELOCATE.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post

Good luck, my wife and I left Chicago intentionally for warmer weather in the late 70's and I try to avoid visiting family between November and April.
    My son is getting married in Chicago the end of December. He doesn't even live there but figures hotels are available and there is good transportation. Beats me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    My son is getting married in Chicago the end of December. He doesn't even live there but figures hotels are available and there is good transportation. Beats me.
    Eddie Bower sells nice fleece lined slacks and flannel lined jeans. They are amazingly warm. Probably good shop wear. I am a complete loser anymore when it comes to cold weather. I did my time.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Eddie Bower sells nice fleece lined slacks and flannel lined jeans. They are amazingly warm. Probably good shop wear. I am a complete loser anymore when it comes to cold weather. I did my time.
    Duluth Trading, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...