Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which compresor

Which compresor

Need a small compressor to blow out the filter on my Oneida, also to use small air tools like a brad nailer. In the past I always bought the larger compressors thinking I would take up spray finishing but it never happened. And now with the small shop dont see it happening again. Need to be able to put it on a high shelf is possible, as space is at a premium and am concerned about the noise. Was looking at the ones at Harbor Freight this morning. Are they junk?

Wouldn't say "junk", but..............Make sure that ya get the extended warranty. Oil free comps are loud.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Frierson View Post
    Need a small compressor to blow out the filter on my Oneida, also to use small air tools like a brad nailer. In the past I always bought the larger compressors thinking I would take up spray finishing but it never happened. And now with the small shop dont see it happening again. Need to be able to put it on a high shelf is possible, as space is at a premium and am concerned about the noise. Was looking at the ones at Harbor Freight this morning. Are they junk?
    Check out the Rolair JC10. It ticks all the boxes for you, especially the noise. It's very quiet, and you will not need hearing protection, of any type, with a JC10.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

There are certainly some compressors where oil free compressors are louder but ALL of the really quiet compressors are oil free. For example, the Rolair JC10 mentioned above.

The small amount of air produced by the JC10 will be great for small nailers but will be far too little to get very far blowing out filters. It will run a small air nozzle for less than 30 seconds before needing to build pressure for a couple minutes. If you run it over and over as soon as it refills the tank, it will fail since it isn't 100% duty cycle.

Fairly quiet and enough air to be useful for blowing out filters will require some weight. A Makita MAC700 would be the minimum and still probably a bit short on air. I use a Makita MAC2400 for pretty much that use but at 77 pounds it seems a bit much to be putting up on a shelf.

Thanks for the replies. The reviews are all positive for the JC 10 and both the Makita 2400 and 700. I have a very substantial 30in wide high shelf that will hold the compressor...just may need a hand getting it up there. The main use for this compressor will be blowing the filter out so don't want to be undersized for that purpose.

6. Take a hard serious look to see if there is any way you can mount your compressor somewhere
    on the other side of the wall in your room. That could mean an outside closet etc. Run the hose
    through the wall etc. The noise is dangerous and injurious. Or you could perhaps mount it
    in an inside closet or box so long as it is super ventilated to the outside. This meaning you
    could be using a separate forced air fan into the box.

7. I forgot to mention that of a few compressors that I own and all my buddies etc. The only
    compressors that are still running after 35 or 45 years are belt driven and oil lubricated.
    I guess when they were made they did not know how to do the small direct drive hi speed
    slippery plastic pumps and that in a way is good. Good if you want them to last a long
    time and not make so much noise. Not so good if what you need is a lightweight portable
    compressor. another thing also... for the same amount of max amps... you will get
    a lot more air from the belt driven compressors as they are much more efficient.
    On a jobsite it may well be worth it to carry the older heavier compressor when you
    keep tripping the breakers or are having to share a line etc. Of the manufacturers
    today, who is still making the belt driven with multiple cylinder pumps in the smaller
    what could be called portable ( if you struggle with two people ) compressors ?

Scott, yes with my florida shop I did have my compressor mounted outside under a carport. And it was a belt driven 60gallon machine I think. But now my situation is such that it has got to be inside my two garage shop. No way the HOA will allow it outside. I will not use it much. It will go weeks without use so I dont need a heavy duty or continuous use machine. Just something to blow my filter out and sometimes use a brad nailer. I want something quiet. Anybody heard of this compressor?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Californi...f2AaAt1u8P8HAQ

I've heard of California Air comps. They are supposedly very quiet as well. Jay Bates has one and highly recommends them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Frierson View Post
    Scott, yes with my florida shop I did have my compressor mounted outside under a carport. And it was a belt driven 60gallon machine I think. But now my situation is such that it has got to be inside my two garage shop. No way the HOA will allow it outside. I will not use it much. It will go weeks without use so I dont need a heavy duty or continuous use machine. Just something to blow my filter out and sometimes use a brad nailer. I want something quiet. Anybody heard of this compressor?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Californi...f2AaAt1u8P8HAQ
    The CAT compressors are very quiet. I have the 4620 and like it. I also have the Rolair JC10. They were similarly quiet out of the box, though my Rolair (which is older) has gradually gotten slightly louder than my CAT (though still both are exceptionally quiet for a compressor). The only thing about CAT is they have had some QC issues on some specific models, so read reviews carefully on the model you are considering. In addition, there were some models that had flimsy construction or low quality parts, but I think some of those issues were remedied with revisions.

Rolair VT20TB - Low RPM, mounted on a nice cart, works great, quiet.

https://www.amazon.com/Rolair-VT20TB.../dp/B004VNOZSK

Robert

I just bought a Rolair VT25BIG. It's a smaller oil-and-belt compressor. It will cycle quite a bit when blowing out filters, but it is relatively quiet compared to my previous, oil-less compressor. The cycle time is surprisingly short and it is a 100% duty-cycle machine, so shouldn't be a problem from a long-term use perspective. I have moved it up and down stairs quite a bit and lifted it short distances, but never above my head. Rolair says it weighs about 100 pounds, which may be a consideration for you. One thing to watch out for: Rolair says it draws 13.8 amps and they mean it. Make sure you have all 15 amps on a typical household circuit available for this thing.

I bought it from acme tools and got a good price and quick shipping. I'm solidly in the "buy once, cry once" camp, so harbor freight would definitely not be on my list.

Good luck.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    I just bought a Rolair VT25BIG. It's a smaller oil-and-belt compressor.

I bought it from acme tools and got a good price and quick shipping. I'm solidly in the "buy once, cry once" camp, so harbor freight would definitely not be on my list.
    Brian- No Secrets here... How much does Acme sell them for and how much was shipping for something heavy like that ?

14. I see the unit here.

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/...09240000605798

It looks pretty good. The specs I mean. The 110V threshold is a big one and I like to look for
    the compressors that offer the greatest cfm flow at 90 psi and STILL use 110V circuits up to 14.5 amps.
    This is an unusual unit in that the motor to pump is direct drive but it is oil lubricated.
    I believe a belt drive unit spinning a large air pump slowly will produce even more cfm airflow
    and still use the 110V. I have not looked to see what models there are that do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    I've heard of California Air comps. They are supposedly very quiet as well. Jay Bates has one and highly recommends them.
    Rolair and Makita both make great products, and I too can vouch for how quiet the California Air a Tools compressor is. I like mine a lot.