Thread: Split up T/S, Fence, and Motor? Or package deal

Split up T/S, Fence, and Motor? Or package deal

Morning All -

I'm in the process (slowly), of selling off some of my tools. Most everything is pretty cut and dry except my table saw. It's an older 80's model Craftsman. I've replaced with original motor (which I still have), with a Baldor and replaced the fence (which I don't have), with a Vega.

I'm wondering which is the best route to go...sell it all together for sell them individually?

Thanks for any advice...

I would think that this would be more readily salable as a unit, rather than pieced out...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim, there may be some people looking for a fence for their table saw out there as an upgrade, but trying to sell a tablesaw without a fence seems more difficult.

The fence is the best part of the saw so if you get no decent offers you could consider breaking them up.
    Don

Well a Craftsman (perhaps made by King Seely) won't sell for a lot of money. It will sell for less if you part it out, far less. That said, I recommend you reinstall the original motor and keep the replacement motor for yourself. That table saw lacking a fence is worthless. That said, you might get more money parting out the Vega, but you'd have to deal with the Craftsman carcass.

Maybe I'll see if there's any interest as a package deal at a decent price before I part it out. I agree that a saw with no fence isn't a good combo, but it's what I have to work with. Used to have the fence, but got rid of it. Didn't think I'd be selling it down the road. Gotta love hindsight. LOL

Depending on the saw, you could probably get the same amount for the parts as the whole saw. But then you'd be left with a fence-less saw that's not worth much and you'd have to find the right buyers for the fence and motor. Probably easier to sell it all together rather than dealing with multiple sales.

Figure up your bottom dollar,just to move it out as a package on CL's.Sears saws floods CL's but I seen prices as low as 100 on up to what a Unisaw would cost.Selling it cheap will move it out the door to someone who don't mind working on the saw.Like others said the fence is worth more than the saw,but if cheap enough it will also be the reason it sells.When we(woodworkers) become salesman we seem to never break even,good luck ----Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Turner View Post
    Maybe I'll see if there's any interest as a package deal at a decent price before I part it out. I agree that a saw with no fence isn't a good combo, but it's what I have to work with. Used to have the fence, but got rid of it. Didn't think I'd be selling it down the road. Gotta love hindsight. LOL
    While true in this case. You also have to decide if it was worth it to move the fence around for x number of years before you sell the saw. If you really like the fence just sell the saw for cheap enough that someone can buy the saw & a new fence. Your experience makes me think of some mods I want to do to my table saw and whether I should keep the leftover parts. .... In a small garage I'm not sure it's worth it though but we'll see.