Thread: Are Oneway Pro-PM Tools a Good Choice?

Are Oneway Pro-PM Tools a Good Choice?

As a newbie turner, I'm looking to pick up several turning tools and might be able to get some Oneway Pro-PM tools for 25% off, but I don't see anyone talking about them on the forum. I mainly see discussions around Crown's Pro-PM and Thompson's incredible tools.

Such a discount would make them a great deal for my first set of turning tools, but I wanted to ask for opinions from those who have used them before placing an order. I'd rather have a few, more-expensive tools if the Oneway Pro-PM line isn't as good.

Thank you all in advance for your help!
    Jason Weaver
    Topeka, Kansas

2. Don't have any Oneway gouges, but do have friends, some who are pro's who use them, and they are very good tools. I have Oneway accessories [live center, banjo,] that are very well built....gold standard if you ask me.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have mostly Thompson tools, but did pick up a Oneway bowl gouge earlier this year. It is early to tell but so far I think it's quite good. Don't leave D-way tools off your list. Also at this quality level.

Jason,

Here is a "minority report". If you are a newbie turner you are probably a newbie sharpener (at least of turning tools). I recommend that you buy inexpensive HSS tools, e.g., from Penn State Industries. Learn to use them and sharpen them (and grind them away) before you buy all that very expensive metal that might even be a bit harder to sharpen. (Not all tools labeled HSS actually are HSS but at least avoid carbon steel.) Expensive chisels will not make you a better turner.

Just my two cents

Doug

Thank you Roger and Doug L. - I was worried that no discussion meant they weren't as good, but I should've know better with the reputation of their other products.

Doug H. - thank you for the advice. I am new to sharpening turning tools, though I have been doing flatwork with hand tools for years. I don't want to buy better tools, because I think they will make me a better turner; I just believe that it saves you money in the long run if you do your homework and buy a little more quality up front. As for learning to sharpen, I'm also purchasing a Oneway Wolverine setup with Vari-Grind and have a 40+ member woodturning club of pros and serious hobbyists willing to show me the ropes.

Thanks again, to all!

Jason
    Jason Weaver
    Topeka, Kansas

I've also got the Thompson gouges, which I really love.
    Most of my other hardware is Oneway - the chucks are excellent, the wheel balancing kit works well as does the sharpening kit.

Overall, its good advise to learn sharpening on cheap tools. But if you have the Vari-grind, read and follow the instructions, watch some YouTube vids, then you can't go to far wrong.
    I'd be surprised if you could screw up bad enough to lose a 1/2" of gouge due to bad technique.

The difference between using good chisels and cheap ones is huge.

Just my 2c...
    Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Vogel View Post
    The difference between using good chisels and cheap ones is huge.Olaf
    What he said....Once you sharpen well, a quality sharp tool saves me in many ways. Time is probably the biggest savings. I have Oneway accessories, and love them.

Jason, Pro PM are Crown, Oneway gouges are M42

I was wrong on that . Went to Oneway website and apparently they have Pro PM as well. Maybe by Crown??

I just sat in on a demo discussion by Stuart Batty and he stated that if he were not using his tools he would be using Oneway. He did state that D-way were also very good. He preferred parabolic polished flutes. One mans opinion tough?
    Member Illiana Woodturners