Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Correct Corel draw version?

Blog Entries
    oh, and I LIKE Kev's idea. I might install to work with internet. Would be a good bit easier to move stuff to the machine... but still, don't put anything but the minimum on an older machine. Shame I don't have one Thanks!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by tony lisnak View Post
    If you go to Corel's website and research Windows 10 and Coreldraw, only X7 and X8 are garanteed compatible.

http://www.corel.com/us/corel-and-windows-10/
    Lemme translate that for you - "if you call us for support and you have anything other than X7 or X8 then we will point the finger of blame on whatever you say you have whether that's it or not." That doesn't mean it won't work fine, they just won't spend any of their time troubleshooting it.

Blog Entries
    Well, got to ask you guys a question. Those of you who are using 7x, from what I read, you HAVE to be logged in to the software thru the Internet in order to use full version. So if I don't have Internet connection it won't work? Confirmation on this if someone can tell me. If that is right, I'll drop back to older version.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

I don't think thats true, you can buy x7 box version and install it on your computer just like any version before.
    You might be able to subscribe to the cloud , you would have to be logged on to get up dates but not to just use the design software.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Well, got to ask you guys a question. Those of you who are using 7x, from what I read, you HAVE to be logged in to the software thru the Internet in order to use full version. So if I don't have Internet connection it won't work? Confirmation on this if someone can tell me. If that is right, I'll drop back to older version.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

you can run any Corel on any computer without any internet.

They WANT you connected to the internet so they can invade your computer with pop-up ads to try to get you to buy the newer version. (<--- tongue in cheek, but it's true)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Ok, you guys are the users.. I've read two reviews that said that you have to be logged in and internet capable, I know that was threatened with other software in the past. I just didn't want to buy and not be able to use easy. Thanks

No guys really didn't know how well an earlier version works with Windows 10.
    I've run Corel 10, X3, and X6 on Windows 10 and haven't noticed any issues FYI.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75 watt
    Inexperienced rookie user

Uhh Gary, where are the menu items? Nothing broken you say? I definitely broke my Win10 with X4 and worried that the lack of menus might not be the only think 'not quite right' in X6. AFAIK, Corel says only 7 and later work. (However, on the computer that runs my laser I have Win7 and X4 by preference.) YMMV!!
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    Uhh Gary, where are the menu items?
    Corel, in their infinite wisdom, neglected to follow the Windows conventions with regards to menu color schemes and made up their own. This caused them to disappear in Windows 10 because it forced programs (apps) to follow their conventions without any exceptions. If you hover over the menu bar you can still see the menu items. This is a Corel problem, not Windows.

Nothing broken you say? I definitely broke my Win10 with X4 and worried that the lack of menus might not be the only think 'not quite right' in X6.
    Win 10 isn't broken from installing Corel, Corel appears to be broken, however, as I already explained, it only appears this way because they were sloppy with their programming.

AFAIK, Corel says only 7 and later work. (However, on the computer that runs my laser I have Win7 and X4 by preference.) YMMV!!
    Again, Corel "SUPPORTS" X7 and later on Win10, they make no mention that anything earlier "won't work"

Dang it David, my wife will kill me! No guys really didn't know how well an earlier version works with Windows 10. I probably can't buy a new computer w/o Windows 8 or 10 and 8 is not an option. I'd do 7 before 8. Actually like 7 over 10. The desktop is upstairs and I can't use it as it is more my wife's. My old laptop has issues but I will use it till I decide on desktop and then I'll make software decision.

If you prefer Windows 7, you might check if this applies to you:

https://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/lic...de_rights.aspx

It's fairly simple and legal to download Windows 7 install disks from Microsoft. I don't use Windows much, prefer Penguins but Windows 10 seems pretty usable if you're able to get past the amount of data including personal information sent back to "the mother ship" and lack of control over updates.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, in looking at a few refurbished machines for sale, a LOT have 7 reinstalled and would provide for an additional fee the actual license. For this particular machine, I may very well not hook it up to the internet. It would require me adding another router to get decent wifi or running a hard line. (might be easier). Just use my regular machine to obtain any customer designs and d/l onto a flash drive. That way there is no temptation to clutter the darn thing up with non laser related junk.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Well, I have not seen X4 on Win10 that did not cause the "modern" apps and the search to break. Here is someone else's experience:
    "The 3 machines I tested this install on broke the start menus. I preformed a system restore to rollback before I installed CorelDraw to get up and going again. ... WARNING, when installing CorelDraw in Windows 10, be prepared for it to BREAK the Modern Apps and the Start Menu. I just did this and it broke Windows 10."

YMMV but this what happened to me as well.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Blog Entries
    Update on my question.
    Got my refurbished Computer yesterday.

Ended up getting a Lenovo i7 3770, 3.4mhz 8g memory, 250gb HD, with a optical drive. Plenty of 3.0 and 2.0 USB ports so I can connect a bunch of external drives and 'things'.

Had issues with video, thought it was DEAD, but it had a separate HD video board installed that was overriding the motherboard video.
    Only a DVI and a monitor HDMI connector and I don't own a that type of HDMI or any DVI cables.
    So, I pulled that board to check if it would output video. Yes!. I'll get me a cheap cable when I buy a better monitor, using a 16" TV that is worse than my daughter's laptop.

They sent a mouse with it, but shorted me a keyboard. Dang it!
    I had a bunch of stuff stolen a few years back and one of the batches of items was a monitor and keyboards. Not a spare in the house. So, a quick trip to Walmart to get a cheap keyboard. Dang it, I'm not paying $20 for a DVI cable either! That'll have to wait.

So got everything up and running, Windows 10 Pro.

Installed a bunch of the graphics programs I had and the new things I'd recently downloaded.
    Draftsight, Inkscape, OpenScad and then Corel X7 that had arrived the other day.
    Got it running and licensed. Then I installed RDWorks this morning. Figured out the macro plug ins, Oh, and the Autocad 2002 version I had sitting around WON'T work with RDWorks :-( It said 2004 and later versions and I guess it is right!

Had to figure out the toolbars, Corel wanted to put the RDWorks icons on separate bar.
    Imported and then sent to RDWorks. Perfect. Opened a different item and sent it also. Perfect.
    So, at least for me Corel X7, Windows 10 Pro, and RDWorks V8.01.18 are working together.
    Thanks guys!
    Now to learn Corel!!
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser