Thread: Dust Nibs in pigmented laquer?

Question Dust Nibs in pigmented laquer?

Hello fellow finishers! I've spray painted a cabinet using ML Campbell Agualente, a water based pigmented pre-cat laquer. The finish dries with dust nibs, I sand them out and re-spray, and the finish dries with dust nibs, etc. etc. I know how to deal with this issue in clear topcoats, sand very fine and wax, but will that work with pigmented lacquer? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

LEn

I used that same finish in a very dark blue tint for some kitchen drawer faces for our remodel project. I was having a hard time with nibs as well for the first few coats. I finally got very meticulous with sanding/leveling between coats, vacuuming the pieces and wiping down with a microfiber towel. The last coat I sprayed with the pieces vertical and i didn't have any issues with nibs or anything. Good enough to be installed.

Len, it sounds like you have less than ideal conditions since clears give you the same problem. As Mike says, be meticulous and try again. Cheers

Whenever you are spraying finishes that don't dry instantly you are likely to get dust nibs unless your finishing space is extremely clean. But you can rub out waterborne acrylic finishes with pigment in the same way as you rub out clears. If you end with a very fine abrasive such as a polishing compound you won't need wax. By the way, waterborne finishes called lacquer aren't much related to the old fashioned nitrocellulose lacquers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    . . . By the way, waterborne finishes called lacquer aren't much related to the old fashioned nitrocellulose lacquers.
    I agree with that statement 100%.

Thanks everyone. I was meticulous with the sanding and wiping down between coats, I think the issue was that the humidity level was too high, the paint took awhile to dry, and the pieces were laid out horizontally in a non-dust free environment. I will let the paint cure and try rubbing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    If you end with a very fine abrasive such as a polishing compound you won't need wax. .
    Thanks. What polishing compound do you recommend?