Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coreldraw Weld problems

Coreldraw Weld problems

Hi guys,
    I constantly have problems with the Weld option in Coreldraw (some random times I get it to do what I want but more often than not I don't).
    Anyway, in trhe example image attached I have a circle and outline of some text (image 1). When I weld them together the text dissapears (image 2) other than the bit that sticks over the circle edge, however I want it so that the weld keeps the text there all joined up with the circle. I've tried converting the text to curves and various other things but still have problems.
    Any help (this is probably going to be one of those stupidly basic things to sort *I hope*).

weld-problems.jpg
    Trotec Speedy 300 80W

You can't just weld a line and an area (text).
    You've got either to make the circle an area first andthen weld them together. Number (2)
    Or you can do "back minus front" - number 3
    Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 12.06.09.jpg
    Epilog Zing 16 - 35W
    Epilog Fusion 32 M2 - 75W

If I understand what you want to do I would first convert the text to curves, then break it apart, then weld it. Then I would place it in the circle trying the various weld options until you find what you want.

The other option you might explore is using the knife tool.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike Null; 09-08-2016 at 9:54 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have found that there is no way to weld three vectors tha way you wish to. I cut and join the outer lines and then group the whole drawing to keep the centre areas to the outer vector.Test-2.cdr

I've never had much luck with weld/front minus back/back minus front/etc. What I would do is use Smart Fill instead. A few clicks and you have exactly what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ward View Post
    Hi guys,
    I constantly have problems with the Weld option in Coreldraw (some random times I get it to do what I want but more often than not I don't).
    Anyway, in trhe example image attached I have a circle and outline of some text (image 1). When I weld them together the text dissapears (image 2) other than the bit that sticks over the circle edge, however I want it so that the weld keeps the text there all joined up with the circle. I've tried converting the text to curves and various other things but still have problems.
    Any help (this is probably going to be one of those stupidly basic things to sort *I hope*).

weld-problems.jpg

1. Convert text to curves and set to hairline outline and no fill.
    2. Copy text to clipboard.
    3. Weld the lot together leaving just the circle with the bit sticking out.
    4. Paste the text back in again.
    5. Smartfill the area around the text then drag it to one side.

Doing this from my head. Will.test in a while and confirm.

Convert to curves and use virtual delete tool test.cdrTEST jpeg.jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

There are several you tube videos that you might want to watch. Weld is confusing but it does work well, just takes a little practice.

Good luck.

Robert
    Robert Tepper
    Trotec Rayjet 300/80 Watt
    Dahlgren 500 Engraving Machine, CNC Engraving Machine
    Pad printer with 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" print area
    Jackson Vulcanizers, 15 x 24", three total
    Hegner Scroll Saws, 14", three total

Just wondering if any of this has helped the OP as he hasn't chimed in
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have a different take on the solution:
    Type and kern the text, then use the weld option in the dropdown menu (below arrange), instead of the weld toolbar.
    You don't have to convert it to curves first that way.
    Select the welded text, and then the circle, and type Ctrl-L or make compound/Link.
    That's all.

The background minus foreground and vice versa is very useful too - I use it frequently.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

no fill of letters hairline outline. convert to curves, separate. convert circle to curves. weld letters. intersect letters to circle.
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

almost a month old thread now and the OP has not chimed in at all. Does get frustrating answering peoples questions not knowing if we halp them at all. Sometimes I wonder.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    almost a month old thread now and the OP has not chimed in at all. Does get frustrating answering peoples questions not knowing if we halp them at all. Sometimes I wonder.
    Do you keep a database or a spreadsheet to track posts vs replies? Just curious...

why would I need a data base theres only 11 post and its pretty easy to see the OP hasn't been here.Its nice when the the OP comes back and tells us how he made out, so we know were not wasting time helping someone who doesn't care.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert,

You have a point. It does not take much to report back on success or otherwise.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software