Thread: Mission Impossible? ID Old Saw?

Mission Impossible? ID Old Saw?

This may be a futile effort but I am trying to ID this older saw. The etching is just beyond readable. I was hoping maybe someone would recognize something in it. There is a partial circle/ellipse on the left and writing on the right, I know I know it is hard to see . Grasping here. I thought I saw an etching a while back that was close, but now I can't find it. I thought it had Superior in the name above the circle/oval. Anyone?
    DSC_0018.jpgDSC_0017.jpgDSC_0019.jpgDSC_0008.jpgDSC_0004.jpg

Blog Entries
    Probably just another among the multitudes of Warranted Superior saws made for sale as 'house brands' by many a retail outlet.

It is likely a fine user saw if it is sharp.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Mark,

+1 on what Jim said. A lot of different saw makers also made "Warranted Superior" saws besides their own "name brand" product line, and I am pretty sure the "Warranted Superior" line was deliberately marked in such a way that the customer would not be able to determine who the actual maker was. I think none of my own "Warranted Superior" saws are marked in any way with the true manufacturers name, but it has been a while since I looked for such.

This was likely done so that the maker could protect the price range and reputation of their premium line of saws, while at the same time be able to sell a second line of saws for the lower price range customer who either did not believed they needed or couldn't afford the premium line of saws. As Jim also pointed out, some of these were also sold by retail accounts as their own "store brand" product line.

Like Jim points out, many of these are quite good saws. All of my "Warranted Superior" saws, that I use, have been very good saws, and I have had no problem with any of them. Of course almost all of my hand saws are fairly old, and were made while companies still cared about quality and their reputations with both their individual customers and their retail accounts that sold either their generic "Warranted Superior" lines and their own name brand lines. The individual customer may not have known what maker made their "Warranted Superior" saw, but the store that sold the saw did.

This was before the day that many old line manufacturers started the race to the bottom, quality wise, where top managers tried to squeeze every last penny out of the cost of production of every sort of tool to maximize short term profits, but of course this was done at the cost of product quality, reputation, and long term sales and customer loyalty.

For what it's worth, from the general amount of shaping of the grip where you hand fits in the handle, I would guess this saw was made in the 1950s or so. The grip does not have the nice shaping for optimal comfort of the grip of the saws made before 1930 or so, but it is OK, and a lot better than the extreme blister makers that came in somewhat after the 1950s.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-08-2016 at 9:57 PM.

I have one similar saw...
    Cleveland saw.jpg
    Warranted Superior on the medallion, blade is etched for a Cleveland Hardware Wholesaler. Banners....writing all over the place on it. I was using it to cut dovetails with. I'd chop out the waste, though. Works just fine....handle has an "Atkins" feel to it, though.

Thanks everyone for your replies!!!

Is the etching readable? If so is it a "Cuyahoga Saw Company"