Thread: Is anyone's library index better than mine?

Unhappy Is anyone's library index better than mine?

A couple years (or so) back I ran across an article in a woodworking magazine on mounting a miter saw into a workbench. It had a neat way of mounting the base so that it was height adjustable to fine tune the position of the saw deck with the bench surface. I told my self, That's how I'll mount mine when I re-furbish my shop.

Famous last words - Think I can find the article - Nope!

Does anyone recall that article - and have an idea where I can find it? I'm starting design of that re-build now. I may even post a thread on the progress.

Thanx for any help,
    Dick Thomas
    Conifer, CO

Dick, I dont recall the article - maybe someone else will. But one way Ive seen that done is to cut a piece of plywood to fit the bottom of the saw and then put adjusters (luke on a table or chair leg) at each corner. Dialing this in will be tedious, but it does seem to work for folks.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Dick, have seen the same method as Fred is referring to with a false base that the saw is fixed to, supported by either studs or bolts poking thru the false base and into clearance holes in the top of the cabinet underneath. Uses nuts and washers on the bolts to secure and adjust the false base to the correct height relative to the bench surface.

Thanx, Fred & Andy. I've been visualizing various schemes along those lines, but am still hoping to find that article. I'm a couple months of work away from that part of the install, so I should have something worked out by the time I get to it.

Dick, Wasn't that in a Shop Notes article about 3 years ago? That is what I recall, I will look through some of my Shop Notes and see if I can find it.

Chuck, might be there but I know the plan I built mine from is a lot older as the build itself is about 10 years old. Think mine was a freebie plan over the internet but originally came from FWW

Thanx for the note, Chuck. I went thru my collection of Shop Notes - issue 86 to the end, and found several miter saw articles, but none that I found include that adjustable height deck. They all mention wanting the saw deck flush with the bench top, but leave it up to the builder as to how to accomplish that task!

What ever I eventually figure out, I'll post it.

I mounted my Bosch Glide to a piece of melamine so I could slide it forward to make compound miter cuts. This lets me keep a very narrow bench width for 99.9% of the time and I can pull it forward all other times.

My bench is just a 2x4 frame with melamine surfaces. I simply screwed some horizontal 2x4s set close to the desired height. Start with 1 screw per corner. You can then use a mallet to move each corner up or down until it is level. You can get at least 1/16" of movement in either direction with just a few light taps. After it is level, add 3 more screws into each corner and it will lock that position.

Steve