Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

12 Sep 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    Just getting an early start to what I'll call...a busy week. As you may recall, I agreed to some projects to help our local bowling alley do some renovations and improvements. We agreed to break it all up into 4 different phases. Phase 1 was a new shoe storage rack for the customer service desk to free up some much needed floor space. Done, delivered, and collected the money. Phase 2 which was making and installing a 10' counter top plus three 24" wide three drawer cabinets and one 18" three drawer cabinet. Stained, finished, lacquered, formica on the hand-built counter top, to include a formica end-cap to put a permanent end to the cabinets and counter top space. Done, delivered, and collected the money. Phase 3 will be 3 shoe storage units to hold about 200 pairs of shoes, a counter top that is 36" wide and 10' long, and a swinging door to exit and enter the new work space. This is what I will be starting very soon. I'm enjoying the work and the shop time but like I always do, I under-bid the work.

Getting stuff done around the house, fixing a busted lawn mower, and refinishing a chair for a good buddy of mine so the LOML can re-upholster it for me.

That's it for me, so what did you do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Still machining chair and bar stool components for the dining suite I am doing - 16 in total. I am afraid to add up the hours in this suite, but the cost to the customer will run well into 5 figures.... Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Took a trip to Groff and Groff lumber on Saturday. First time I've been there since it was "Groff and Hearnes" over 20 years ago. I swear I died and went to heaven. I had moved from the area for quite some time and it was so nice to rummage around those piles of wood. Got as much cherry as the truck would hold but looking forward to going back for pieces for upcoming projects.

Michael, Groff does have some very nice stuff! And Hearne in Oxford is also a "candy store". Can't go wrong with either supplier for sure.

I did spend a lot of time in the shop this weekend...it was skanky hot/humid outside and even the inefficient, too small AC in the shop was preferable to being outside! For the most part, I was working on the finishing steps for the hutch portion of my buffet/hutch project. Saturday, the unit got final sanded and then primed. Sunday, the first coat of black BM Advance went on. Hopefully, this coming weekend I can get the finishing finishing-touches done and then find some strong help to get the darn thing into the house...it's major heavy due to the 3/4" T&G back and sheer size. And yea, it will need to be tied to the wall for safety, too.

Sadly, it's looking like my next "project" will be something unplanned. The upstairs bathroom that my older daughter uses (the original "master bath" from when we bought this home, pre-addition) has leaking water supply lines in the floor and that's causing a problem in the kitchen. Since the shower in there is pretty much beyond end-of-life, we're going to do a mini-reno of the bathroom that will include a new, larger shower, updating of the cabinets via paint and new doors, a new toilet and repainting once the plumbing is repaired. (unfortunately, that likely will require pulling the ceiling in the powder room in the kitchen, too) If things go well, we'll get the "very large" jacuzzi tub in that room painted white to totally eliminate the "lovely" mauve to complete the task. So the woodworking component will be the new doors for the cabinetry as well as construction work to install the new shower. I may need to hire out some of the work just due to time constraints with work, etc., as this really cannot stretch on for months due to the inconvenience it presents for both daughters...the older will have to share the shower in the younger's bathroom and also journey downstairs to use the powder room for tooth brushing, etc. Having the water turned off for that bath also killed it for our refrigerator's water and ice supply since it's off that line, not the kitchen. Unplanned projects happen...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Done, done, done! I finished up with my bunk bed project earlier last week, and after giving the GF High Performance top coat a minimum amount of cure time, we delivered and assembled the bed for the new owners yesterday. I'm glad to have the space available again to get back to other projects and to be able to park at least one of the cars back inside.

Last edited by Mike Ontko; 09-12-2016 at 10:16 AM.

I finished a jewelry cabinet for my daughter that I have been working on for days. It was my own design and I struggled a lot but finally got it somewhat acceptable. It's nowhere near perfect but that's life. I'll do better next time.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Finished installing the facia on my office shed project, and started the roofing. Got 75% of the felt and drip edge installed, and nearly 8 courses of shingles so far. I managed to only hit my index and middle fingers on my left hand twice, but I did manage to bruise the tip of the index finger pretty badly.
    I also got my subpanel installed and fully wired up except for the feed from the main panel.

Didn't get a picture of the roofing because I was pretty tired by then and my phone was dying, but here's a picture of the subpanel right before I hooked up the grounding rods:
    IMG_4747.jpg
    ~Garth

Finished and hung the first of 8 gates I'm making for the "farm."

The gate is 47.5" x77" and made with clear western red cedar I dried myself in my solar kiln. Design is my own. The top and bottom rails have through wedged tenons (slip) with blind tenons everywhere else (and Dominoes on the top slats). Bottom slats are 3/4" tongue and groove and float. End grain is waxed and drain holes drilled from the bottom dado through the 8" bottom rail.

I've been working for the past year to get to the point where I can do this efficiently (buying equipment, setting up the shop, building the kiln, etc). Someone asked how long it took me to build this and I said, a year ... and six days. Really happy with the result, the time spent making sure everything was flat, square and true paid off when I glued it up and it was less than 1/32" out of square. This was a pretty traditional design.

Next one is 54" wide so I'm stepping up the thickness from 1.5" to 2.25". Going to get a little more creative with the design on the next one.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Hyde; 09-13-2016 at 8:24 AM.

Blog Entries
    I never saw a purple fence before. Is that a stain?

OBTW, the gate is gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I never saw a purple fence before. Is that a stain?

OBTW, the gate is gorgeous.
    Ha! Bad white balance on my phone, actually.

Thanks!

Oilstone box for H O Studley Replica

IMG_0539.JPGIMG_0540.JPGIMG_0541.JPG

I finished this last week but thought I'd post a few pics. I started cutting the dovetails on the main case this past weekend.