Thread: the notorious "what tool is this" ? help

the notorious "what tool is this" ? help

Picked up a batch of old tools this past weekend..Along with them came this STANLEY tool? Not sure what it is? possibly angle gauge or center finder or? Can you you guys help me out? Thanks in advance,

Attachment 343982Attachment 343983Attachment 343984
    Jerry

OOOoops..Somehow, the pics do not appear.... When you click on the attachment numbers, the pics load..there are 3 ..Thanks
    Jerry

I clicked on all 3, but only got a note about an invalid link and to contact the administrator: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/sendmessage.php

Thanks Bill..I reposted.
    Jerry

It is an angle gauge that bisects an angle, probably a No. 30 if it's a Stanley (there was also a No. 31, made from rosewood, no doubt pretty but this one might be superior in function). Imagine that you're running baseboard and you need to miter the corner. A miter is half the included angle of the corner, and corners are almost never actually 90 degrees. The linkage on this splits the angle into its two halves. You can use it to set your miter box or, in some cases, for direct layout of a miter.

Or, you can just use it to take an angle off; Stanley's catalog No. 110 shows it being used to take off the angle from an existing rafter, useful if you're cutting a replacement or some such.

Instruction sheet (thank you, Jon Zimmer Antique Tools):
    no_30.jpg
    That's pretty small...here's the web link: http://www.jonzimmersantiquetools.com/features/no_30.html
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 09-12-2016 at 4:02 PM. Reason: more information

Bill

THANK YOU BILL.....quick and accurate response...The gentleman I bought the tools from said it was used to divide an angle in half..It now make sense...You have cleared the confusion!! Thank you, Bill..Good source too for the future...Grateful.
    Jerry

Toy airplane?

That's what my son would argue. He classifies my plane by what he thinks they most resemble (train, snowmobile, etc).