Thread: Knife Scales/handle

Knife Scales/handle

I'm having a buddy make me a knife. He wants me to pick out the scales/handle. There is way too much to pick from, so need some advice.

Wooden handles: If you were going to use wood for the handle, on a hunting/skinning knife, what wood would you use?

Yea, I know there a lot of variables, but it will be used for skinning, and he is just getting started.

I have a lot of cherry, in which I can make a ton of scales for him, but how would cherry hold up?

Thanks for any advice.

Blog Entries
    You may want to check out this site. The last knife I bought for my son had "camel bone" handles. Looks great.

http://usaknifemaker.com/
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I am partial to either birdseye maple or curly/tiger maple. image.jpg
    I have used it on the last 1/2 dozen knives

I would want something harder than cherry.

What ever wood you pick I would get it stabilized. It's going to be around water when cleaning and other fluids while it's working. You really could use whatever you have gay looks good. I like ironwood burl or koa.

FC68qZH.jpg
    This is one of my daily drivers for work. It's ground down from one piece though not scales.

My wife had a knife commissioned for me as a gift, some years back. It's in the garage or I'd post a photo. Black Palm scales. Looks awesome but that stuff is murder on tools.

Erik

Cherry is a pretty tough wood especially considering the use you've got in mind. If you want tough wood go for ironwood or rosewood and such. Knife scales are a few inches of wood so you should be able to pick some up for next to nothing.

I have some highly figured crotch/flame black walnut. PM me if you want some.

+1 For Rosewood.

Charley

I usually prefer whatever I can get locally. If I was in Hawaii I would probably want Koa. Here in AR I'd use a select piece of cherry or walnut. For you, maybe buckeye? You could cut the scales from bookmatched crotch pieces and turn the matching sides out. That might look pretty sharp.

Stabilizing would be best. Most woodturning clubs have someone that will do it for you for a small fee. But it isn't required. I like the feel of well-worn, natural wood. The knives I enjoy most have no finish at all and the wood is protected by the fat of the many thousands of critters processed in my family's former meat packing shop.

I would go with Cocobolo.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

In my younger days I was a custom knife maker. If using wood, use something extremely hard like ironwood or cocobolo, cherry and even maple are too soft and will dent and ding too easily, or in the case of cherry, chip off in chunks, it's too brittle. Antlers or stag horn work well, or man made materials like micarta or phenolic. Ivory and mother of pearl can be pretty too, but not usually good for much other than an inlaid handle, not slabs.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

13. Cherry is hard to work with. You should try using something apt like rosewood.