Thread: Small knot in cutting boards

Small knot in cutting boards

Made some cutting boards out of scrap I had laying around. Some of the pieces had some very small knot holes in them. Was thinking of filling with some sawdust and titebond 3 or maybe just some epoxy. Which would you guys recommend? Here are some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would drill a 1/2 to 3/4 in deep hole in the center of the knot. Then make some home made cut dowel out of the closest matching material.
    Pop the dowel in the drill hole with Tight Bond II to anchor it down.

I think filling it with glue mixed sawdust would not be a good method due to crumbling under use.

Just my 2 cts.

Enjoy and good luck!

I would just use epoxy but I'm lazy. I think the holes add interest.

Erik

My advise take a piece of walnut scraps that you can sharpen in a electric pencil sharpener.See how well it fit into the holes.
    If it's good hammer in with some glue and cut flush.
    I like the holes very unique.

Aj

I do like Erik - I fill them with epoxy - just clear epoxy. This is assuming they're not gigantic holes.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Epoxy on a cutting board where a knife edge will get nicked or the epoxy will get cut away.
    Sounds aggravation and delicious at the same time.

Aj

I've seen black CA glue and epoxy that would do well for this application. For filling walnut I really like to use coffee grounds as it looks more like a bark inclusion than a repair. With CA I would tamp the dried grounds into the hole and flood with thin CA. With epoxy you can mix the grounds into the resin. Drilling and filling with a plug would be a close 2nd in my book.

I like holes and 'character', but not on a cutting board. They tend to collect food and grow things you don't want to eat.

I admire people who make end grain cutting boards. I am with the school that recommends drilling and tapping in a piece of wood. I am very careful with the products I use for cutting boards.

I would split and sharpen a piece of scrap. Whatever you use will get chopped into the user's food.

Epoxy here, but I would add black dye to hide it a bit.

11. The Idea by Terry Beadle should work the best. Since you have done a really great job until now, You certainly don't want epoxy or sawdust grains in cardamom. So in my opinion go for dowels. If this was for some use other than chopping or cutting, epoxy would've done the job.