Thread: Making revolver grips?

Making revolver grips?

Been awhile since I posted here. Hello all.

I recently inherited a couple of fine revolvers from my Uncle. A 1972 Colt Detective Special, and a 1960 Smith model 28. The trigger on the 28 is amazing.

I've got big hands and they both have small carry grips on them. I can't quite get past the idea of paying someone else $100+ to make grips.

I have some fiddleback walnut that just begs to be used - after I practice, of course.

Has anyone here done this? Know of a good book to read to learn more? My shop is a mixture of power and handtools. I've got a good selection of files and rasps. It seem pretty straightforward. Trace, mimic the screw hole location, shape to fit my hand. But I wonder if there are tips and tricks out there.

I may ask someone else to help me with checkering. Not sure yet.

Thanks!

Gary
    Where did I put that tape measure...

$100 for a set of grips is gonna be a hard deal to beat. Brownells and Midway sell checkering tools. Pay someone to do the checkering and I think that your $100 will be spent...

Nonetheless projects like this are fun. Make a pattern to cut the interior of the grips and leave the grips blocky/oversized then start to remove material and try often until you have reached an ideal fit. It is a fun and rewarding project. I like oil as a finish.

Blog Entries
    I would just start and see where I end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    $100 for a set of grips is gonna be a hard deal to beat. Brownells and Midway sell checkering tools. Pay someone to do the checkering and I think that your $100 will be spent...

Nonetheless projects like this are fun. Make a pattern to cut the interior of the grips and leave the grips blocky/oversized then start to remove material and try often until you have reached an ideal fit. It is a fun and rewarding project. I like oil as a finish.
    Agree, it's a nice quiet job that takes some time .... I've made grips for black powder revolvers....
    a lot of carving (I used a very sharp knife), filing, and sanding ....

Brownells web site also has a "tips" section. You may have to subscribe but it may have the info you're looking for, if not I'm sure they could sell you a book about making stocks and grips.

I'll agree with having someone else, who knows what they're doing, tackle the checkering. A bad checkering job is real ugly.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Haven't done it but I am really looking forward to your work. Please share some pictures after you are done. Seems really badass.

7. I know this is a woodworking site, but have you looked into a Tyler T-Grip adapter?
    i have a '69-'70 28-2 Highway Patrolman, and it's made all the difference in the world.
    Last edited by Cullen Herendon; 09-18-2016 at 4:37 PM.