Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinless moisture meter recommendation?

Pinless moisture meter recommendation?

Hello all. Do any of you have experience with PINLESS MOISTURE METERS? I see some older threads on the subject, but thought a new thread may raise discussion of newly released products or new thoughts. Seems either the Wagner or Lignomat are the prime candidates. I'd really appreciate hearing any experience or advice any of you may have on the subject. I'll be using the meter for both flat board furniture making and bowl blanks. Thank you in advance!

My Wagner MMC 210 has been a champ.

I have this one...

http://www.akhurstshop.com/product/w...oisture-meter/

Been using it for a few years, easy to adjust for thickness & species. I have it in the shop and check my lumber often as we process it.
    Andrew J. Coholic

I have a LignoScanner D. I use it, but I'm not wildly impressed. It seems sketchy that the reading can change quite a bit if I just rotate the scanner. That is, with the scanner body running with the grain, I might see a reading of 9%, and if I rotate the scanner so the body is running across the grain, I might see a reading of 11%.

Danny, how do you determine the density of your wood in order to get an accurate measurement ? The Wagner has a way of specifying species but there is so much variance, within a species (especially ash, I'm finding) of specific gravity that one setting just doesn't seem to do it. The range for white ash, for example, can go from .43 ~ .60 sg. That's a big range and can indicate a moisture content range from 13% ~ 20%. Do you go to the trouble of finding the specific gravity of a board to be sure of the moisture content ?

Also, do you know of a place to take your moisture meter to calibrate it and make sure it's giving accurate readings ?

This should prove interesting. After reading numerous past threads, I balked at purchasing one. The most members (collectively) with a "reasonably" priced model would give as a whole was a C+.

I have a Lignomat that can do pinless or with pins. I like that they are made in Portland OR and I was able to stop by and meet them before buying. I've used mine a bit and when playing with it the pinless read matched the pin reads pretty well. I just use mine when buying lumber to make sure it's not too wet. As I live in Phoenix stuff dries out pretty quick here and honestly I can't remember the last time I found hardwood from a good supplier that was too wet. Take it to a big box hardware sometime for a laugh though

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hamsley View Post
    My Wagner MMC 210 has been a champ.
    I also have a Wagner and use it a lot.

JKJ

Moisture meter 2.jpgI have been using a GE Protimeter MMS2 for about 1 1/2 years in my remediation / restoration business and also use it for woodworking. It is pin / pinless and has several different wood species already in the software. Bought one new but found another one for a backup used on Craigslist for $300 that was in perfect condition. I think new they are about $1200. Has many more features than just moisture meter if you look up the specs.

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I also have a Wagner and use it a lot.

JKJ
    How well do these pinless meters work on very rough stock?
    Mark McFarlane

Thanks very much to all of you who took the time to their thoughts. I really appreciate the advice.

Yonak,

Having been a Forester all my life, I am very familiar with specific gravity of the various native American hardwoods, so it is second nature for me. I have read a number of specific gravity studies and I use that knowledge to choose a setting for the meter. However, specific gravity can vary quite a bit even in one board as you move from the mature wood on the outside of a tree (or board) to the inside of a tree (or board), so it is definitely not a perfect methodology.

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    How well do these pinless meters work on very rough stock?
    You will need a block plane or chisel to smooth your test spot. There is a limit on surface penetration for pinless meters. For timber we use 2" pins and pre drill holes for the pins.
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 09-20-2016 at 6:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    You will need a block plane or chisel to smooth your test spot. There is a limit on surface penetration for pinless meters. For timber we use 2" pins and pre drill holes for the pins.
    Thanks Rick. I'm guessing a hardwood store would rather have you stick in a small pin than plane the surface,... or maybe not..
    Mark McFarlane

Blog Entries
    My Wagner 405 is more than adequate. There is a wood species booklet that comes with it. If your wood is not in the book, it will appear on line if you google it.