Thread: Adjustment knob turns when using Dewalt dw734 planer

Adjustment knob turns when using Dewalt dw734 planer

When I'm planning boards, with the head locked, the dw734 thickness planner's adjustment knob will turn a bit. I've also noticed that I can plane the same board multiple times at the same setting, and it might take off more material after a few times. And that the knob turns easily a fair bit with the head locked.

Is this normal behavior?

I had a similar problem with a ridgid planer. I tried many different things, but sharp bladed were the answer for me. Wish i had changed the blades first.

Blog Entries
    When is the last time you cleaned the four posts? Wipe them down with mineral spirit and then again with DNA or naphtha. You want them clean and dry.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought it refurbished, so it's possible that the blades weren't sharp when I got it. It's started doing a thing where it'll grab the wood, put a large gouge in it, and stall the motor. Which I guess also sounds like it could be a dull blade.

Is it at least normal for the handle to be able to turn freely a bit with the heads locked?

That is not normal. The handle should be hard to turn with the head locked. I had one of this planers for about 6 years. The parts that contact the posts eventually wore out and the head would slip while planing. I replaced them and it worked like it did before. It wasn't the easiest job but it worked. I may have replaced the posts too as they had signs of wear too.

It'll stall if you take too big a cut, or a normal cut with dull blades. The blades are reversible so you might have a fresh side waiting for you.

It's hard to turn eventually, but there's maybe 1/4 turn of play.

First things first - is the bolt that holds the handle tight?

Did you check the posts as Glenn mentioned?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Schneider View Post
    It's hard to turn eventually, but there's maybe 1/4 turn of play.
    This was my experience as well.

Blog Entries
    I have a 734 and I bought in preference to the 735.

When the lock is on, nothing moves, handles or anything else.

Who refurbished it? Do you have recourse?

The handle's tight and the posts seem clean to me. When I turn it within the play-range, I can see the threaded rods immediately turning on both sides with a 1:1 ratio from each other. So the only thing I can imagine might allowing the play is the threads in the head being too loose.

I contacted Dewalt, and they told me to ask their service center so I guess I'll do that. The place I bought it from (brandnewengines.com) isn't listed on Dewalt's site, but hopefully it's under warranty anyways.

Is the 1/4 turn of play just backlash? I don't recall exactly how it's designed.

According to wikipedia, backlash and play are synonymous. The height of the head is adjusted by two threaded rods, connected to each other by 1:1 gears and a chain. I think the play is coming from the tapped heads being a bit looser than the threaded rods. Which I guess sounds like it's not the case for everyone.

I reversed the blades, and it's running so much better than it ever has. So apparently that was the problem, and the play doesn't really matter.

Good to hear. That's a great planer you have.