Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYC Kez (Kezurou-kai mini) 2016 at Mokuchi

Blog Entries

NYC Kez (Kezurou-kai mini) 2016 at Mokuchi

Good morning! In addition to competing in the event, I was able to cover the event with a blog post. I know many were curious about the event since I posted a bit on my preparations and so I thought you guys might like to check it out.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...-nyc-kez-2016/

Cheers
    Brian
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Very interesting. Would love to have been there. Thanks Brian.

Blog Entries
    The conversion of 8 microns for the shaving is ~0.0003" for those who may be interested.

Only a few of my metal planes can get down into the sub 0.001" range.

Are any contests held for the thickest continuous shavings possible?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The conversion of 8 microns for the shaving is ~0.0003" for those who may be interested.

Only a few of my metal planes can get down into the sub 0.001" range.

Are any contests held for the thickest continuous shavings possible?

jtk
    I think a well tuned metal bodied plane could achieve equivalent thin shavings. That is, I don't see anything about a wood bodied plane that's superior but the pulling motion might be the thing that adds consistency to the effort. Pulling might make control under these slow planing efforts easier to accomplish. No doubt the single biggest factor though is getting a razor sharp edge across the entire width of the plane blade.

Very cool and sorry I missed it - so impossible to get a day off of work...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I think a well tuned metal bodied plane could achieve equivalent thin shavings. That is, I don't see anything about a wood bodied plane that's superior but the pulling motion might be the thing that adds consistency to the effort. Pulling might make control under these slow planing efforts easier to accomplish. No doubt the single biggest factor though is getting a razor sharp edge across the entire width of the plane blade.
    Yes, a well tuned metal plane can take thin shavings.

The difference is the planes used in these competitions may be superior due to the care involved in making them contest ready. Depending on any of my metal plane's intended use, its fettling usually doesn't go beyond being able to simply make an even shaving.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I find these Japanese style planes fascinating. Where does one go to purchase something like this?

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, glad you are finding this interesting.

Rob, So Yamashita got mine for me

There is a lot too it, as you saw in my previous two posts. The main factors of course are flatness of the blade, sharpness and quality of the edge across the full width of the blade (a very minor chip makes a split in the shaving at that level). I can take an incredibly fine shaving with my metal planes, but nothing as thin as the kanna, there is more to the sole than meets the eye in my experience with tuning the dai.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 09-09-2016 at 4:23 PM.

In case anyone missed it, congratulations to Brian. He made it on the Mokuchi Facebook page in a short video:

https://www.facebook.com/mokuchistud...type=2&theater

PS. I hope that link works, FB is ...
    Last edited by John Schtrumpf; 09-09-2016 at 5:09 PM.

Metal planes can certainly get down to half a mil or so, and there's no reason in theory why sole material would make a difference.

In practice I suspect it's easier to achieve with wood. The reason I say that is because I think that being able to manipulate the sole profile (as Brian described in a previous post) is useful when trying for the thinnest possible shaving, and that's a lot less onerous with a wooden sole.

Interesting range of sartorial choices there. As in: Everybody's wearing jeans + T-shirt except for that one perfectly coiffed dude in the button-down shirt and slacks...

Looking dapper as always, Brian :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, a well tuned metal plane can take thin shavings.

The difference is the planes used in these competitions may be superior due to the care involved in making them contest ready. Depending on any of my metal plane's intended use, its fettling usually doesn't go beyond being able to simply make an even shaving.

jtk
    Exactly what I'm saying. I'd think there might be similar planing competitions for metal planes. I'd suspect those competitors also go to great detail in their plane setup, not some everyday type stuff.

Brian, by the way. Excellent documentation of the events _ sounds like you had a great time. So, did you learn some secrets you could pass on?

I have one Kanna that I mess with sometimes.Its baffles me how the plane feels like it hooks its self down in a cut.Im sure it's the way I have scraped the sole.With the infeed side down lower then the out feed.
    I can appreciate the skill it takes to get a shaving so thin.
    The Tasai plane looked killer.

Thanks for sharing.

Aj

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Schtrumpf View Post
    In case anyone missed it, congratulations to Brian. He made it on the Mokuchi Facebook page in a short video:

https://www.facebook.com/mokuchistud...type=2&theater

PS. I hope that link works, FB is ...
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Metal planes can certainly get down to half a mil or so, and there's no reason in theory why sole material would make a difference.

In practice I suspect it's easier to achieve with wood. The reason I say that is because I think that being able to manipulate the sole profile (as Brian described in a previous post) is useful when trying for the thinnest possible shaving, and that's a lot less onerous with a wooden sole.
    Exactly, and two contact points which I've not seen on a metal plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Interesting range of sartorial choices there. As in: Everybody's wearing jeans + T-shirt except for that one perfectly coiffed dude in the button-down shirt and slacks...

Looking dapper as always, Brian :-)
    Lol! You know I just can't resist. Actually I think Jude was wearing an OCBD as well.

Exactly what I'm saying. I'd think there might be similar planing competitions for metal planes. I'd suspect those competitors also go to great detail in their plane setup, not some everyday type stuff.

Brian, by the way. Excellent documentation of the events _ sounds like you had a great time. So, did you learn some secrets you could pass on?
    Thank you! I learned a few things, I had been stropping and it was suggested to me to either sharpen again after or stop stropping and so I learned that while stropping is great for my everyday it actually made it more difficult to get incredibly thin shavings.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I have one Kanna that I mess with sometimes.Its baffles me how the plane feels like it hooks its self down in a cut.Im sure it's the way I have scraped the sole.With the infeed side down lower then the out feed.
    I can appreciate the skill it takes to get a shaving so thin.
    The Tasai plane looked killer.

Thanks for sharing.

Aj
    My pleasure!

Was the dual contact point setup typical for the others in the competition also Brian?